PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Strk's Projects

Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I have yet to buy a paper model. I want to buy a Steyr RSO but can't find one. There a 1000's of free models out there. Some of fantastic quality that surpass anything sold. I do understand why someone would want to sell their models though and there is nothing wrong with that. I am working on an A90 and the ESKA 2 seat model (which is 90% done). Trying to sell them is such a pain in the butt that I still have not decided if I will even release them, because of piracy.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
I have yet to buy a paper model. ... There a 1000's of free models out there. Some of fantastic quality that surpass anything sold. ...
Um, if you haven't bought any models, how do you know the free ones surpass anything sold?

Anyway - thanks for introducing me to this very interesting craft which I'd never heard of before. It's another example of 'Fomby' - to steal a Boose-ism :D
Old 11-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Eternal Member

The subs and the Nansen class are beautiful! Can I ask which 3d program you use please.

Of course Dove is in the same class
Old 11-06-2009, 06:30 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=dansls1;88084]Um, if you haven't bought any models, how do you know the free ones surpass anything sold?

That's the nice thing about forums and build threads. You get to see what others are building. Then, by looking at the pictures, and reading the text, you put together a picture in your mind of what process is going on. Sometimes, you make models of your own design or glean the fields and find 1000's of other models that are free. By comparing what you have observed, what you (meaning me)and others have designed, and by what others have purchased, an idea of how the models rank in difficulty, quality and you build your own preference. That is how you can discern that of "fantastic quality that surpass anything sold". I would add however this does not include models which are purchased as books,.i.e. the ones you cut out. Even though some of those are poor in quality, rather I was referring to models that you down load.

While I may not have purchased any of these I have seen enough at book stores and some local hobby shops and have not felt compelled to buy any of them. It's great that as a Moderator you get to dig at people and don't have to worry about consequences. I remember Lexx saying he had never purchased a model either. Oh well, over ZEALous I guess.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:16 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
It's great that as a Moderator you get to dig at people and don't have to worry about consequences.
Actually Dan has to worry about consequences

and so do you, I do not appreciate some of the shots you have taken against this site, if you have a problem, let me know, and I will do my best to fix it.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Can I ask which 3d program you use please.
Rhinoceros 4.0
Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strk View Post
Rhinoceros 4.0
Rhino is an awesome program. I am still trudging along with 2.0 and saving my pennies to upgrade to 4.0. I can see why you need to get your money back. Like you said, you use legal software and that is to be rewarded as McNeil Associates have had their problems with Rhino being pirated. I informed them that is was on Rapidshare and they had it removed. Some people use "designed using Rhino" on their product as an advertising tool, as it shows quality. Your models definitely show what Rhino in the right hands can do.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
McNeil Associates have had their problems with Rhino being pirated.
I'm wondering, why Rhino is so easy to crack?

Removing from RS is just not enough. Rh is easy to find in e-mule net, torrent, peer-to-mail etc. Maybe McNeil should focus on anti-cracking mechanism?
Like CodeMeter dongle used in Steel Beasts Pro sim-game? Seems that this game is still un-cracked.

Quote:
Your models definitely show what Rhino in the right hands can do.
I'm amateur. There are many others, on the level I will never get to:

Wydawnictwo Hali?ski s.c. - Modele kartonowe

Be careful, those pictures can cause mind distortion :D
Old 11-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strk View Post
I'm wondering, why Rhino is so easy to crack?

Removing from RS is just not enough. Rh is easy to find in e-mule net, torrent, peer-to-mail etc. Maybe McNeil should focus on anti-cracking mechanism?
Like CodeMeter dongle used in Steel Beasts Pro sim-game? Seems that this game is still un-cracked.

I'm amateur. There are many others, on the level I will never get to:

Wydawnictwo Hali?ski s.c. - Modele kartonowe

Be careful, those pictures can cause mind distortion :D

OMG!! My head hurts. I had to bookmark that link. That is simply incredible. I wonder if these people do anything else, it just looks so time consuming. Really incredible.

I don't know wy Rhino is so easy to crack either. I know a lot of people flaunt that they do it. I think they crack the free download (which is a full copy except for the saving feature). One could think is makes the price go up but these people would not have purchased it anyway for the most part, but then again who knows. I know I paid for mine and it wasn't cheap, but still cheaper than any other CAD program and most don't do NURBS modeling.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
[QUOTE=Zathros;88147]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
Um, if you haven't bought any models, how do you know the free ones surpass anything sold?

That's the nice thing about forums and build threads. You get to see what others are building. Then, by looking at the pictures, and reading the text, you put together a picture in your mind of what process is going on. Sometimes, you make models of your own design or glean the fields and find 1000's of other models that are free. By comparing what you have observed, what you (meaning me)and others have designed, and by what others have purchased, an idea of how the models rank in difficulty, quality and you build your own preference. That is how you can discern that of "fantastic quality that surpass anything sold". I would add however this does not include models which are purchased as books,.i.e. the ones you cut out. Even though some of those are poor in quality, rather I was referring to models that you down load.

While I may not have purchased any of these I have seen enough at book stores and some local hobby shops and have not felt compelled to buy any of them. It's great that as a Moderator you get to dig at people and don't have to worry about consequences. I remember Lexx saying he had never purchased a model either. Oh well, over ZEALous I guess.
I want to apologize for the tone in my post towards Zathros publically. My intention was to make sure people did not discount purchased models because from my experience the truly expert quality models are for sale, digitally or in books, and the free models that reach that quality are very rare. In my haste of expression I offended Zathros - which was not my intention. Sorry