PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

Old 11-29-2010, 01:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Cool

It should be noted that scratch building and built from scratch are two different terms. The former is making some parts or accessories not included or poorly executed in the kit, the later is what a lot of people assume the whole definition to be, but there is still a third way to scratch build; to combine two or more kits to create a model that never was rendered before; commonly known as bashing, it takes it's name from the term hacking in the era when computer hacking was a good thing. Both practices became popular in the late '60s~early'70s.
Don't get me wrong.....I'm not trying to start an argument on the definition!!! It's just that these practices have been in place for plastic for a long time. I think it might confuse some of our plastic modeling friends if we change it (they are our friends aren't they?) since that's where we get many of our newest members from.

What I just wrote sounds like I'm being Mr.Smarty Pants (even to me).
I'm just saying.......you know?.....It's O.K. to disagree;, paper is not plastic,we don't have to follow the same rules. I don't see a need to change but I do see a need broaden the meaning to many that are not aware that for many of us; it is our primary interest in modeling.
Thank you......don't hit me.

Last edited by Rocky; 11-29-2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
don't hit me.
LOL! Nobody here is gonna hit you, especially me!...you can clearly see by my avatar that my hands are secured behind me...ROFL...and the nurse comes by on the hour with my liquid smile...LMAO

Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldom View Post
It's funny, well done Phil your creations are very interesting and funny
Thank you! They all make ME laugh, and that's why I do it.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Eternal Member

Lightbulb First of all, Let's agree on some Definitions

The true designers/graphic artists (whom I greatly admire) have already got Designers' Corner . They, IMHO, and their "beta" builders are the true "scratchbuilders" : Creation out of nothing. (Creatio ex nihilo)

I am an unashamed kitbasher. If I drop a Modelik Scorpion turret into a Modelik AVGP Grizzly to turn the whole shebang into a Cdn AVFS Cougar, I am definitely kit bashing. I did not design or "beta build" either of these kits. I am merely adapting these to my purposes; rescaled to 1:35.

I also am a converter of figures. I am working on a vignette of my late Dad in WW2 in 1:35. I have built 1897 Highlanders out of Airfix multipose, etc This is all up to our vastly underpaid and severely unappreciated admins to sort out. Mr Steffens, Happy New Year! :-) Sincerely, JR