PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

View Poll Results: Do you want a scratch building section?
Yes 125 87.41%
No, but I will allow it 18 12.59%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Seems to be polling in favor.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but, the total votes are still less than 1/10 of 1 percent of the total members as in 58/14,358

Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 AM

'Scuuuuuse me, that's 49/14,358

Old 12-01-2010, 10:36 AM

Seems like any new design in the Designer's Corner could be considered a "scratchbuilt". I'm not sure what purpose a separate section would serve but have no real objections.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Hmmm... I don't think this is an major issue. If a builder although scratchbuilding and kitbashing an existing model wants to post it say in the Aviation section he or she can. And on the otherhand if somebody wants to label his/hers work as scratch built no matter to what portion of the model he/she refers that choce to it is fine by me. I give an example based on my builds: 44ft lifeboat > Scratch and Chiawats OH-14 > Aviation. But little did I know when I started the 44 footer - it started as a regular build and continued containing more and more scratch built elements. Bad examples both because both builds are at hold at the moment. Ok, I need to concentrate on building more. ;-)

So what I wanted to say is that it's not bad to offer many ways to label your work. Scratch might be a good place - as an example Mike's Clarktor Tug tractor build. Very educating scratch building thread if I know one.

Tappi
Old 12-01-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
Hmmm... I don't think this is an major issue. If a builder although scratchbuilding and kitbashing an existing model wants to post it say in the Aviation section he or she can. And on the otherhand if somebody wants to label his/hers work as scratch built no matter to what portion of the model he/she refers that choce to it is fine by me. I give an example based on my builds: 44ft lifeboat > Scratch and Chiawats OH-14 > Aviation. But little did I know when I started the 44 footer - it started as a regular build and continued containing more and more scratch built elements. Bad examples both because both builds are at hold at the moment. Ok, I need to concentrate on building more. ;-)

So what I wanted to say is that it's not bad to offer many ways to label your work. Scratch might be a good place - as an example Mike's Clarktor Tug tractor build. Very educating scratch building thread if I know one.

Tappi
I agree that some sort of tag/label would be more beneficial than a seperate forum. This way a scratchbuilding fan, like myself, could simple search for the tag/label.

BTW, thanks for the heads-up on the Tug Tractor. This is the type of build that I am inspired by!
Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Eternal Member

A good case in point. A build just showed up that is essentially
plastic but uses a paper model for patterns and formers. Should
this be allowed or should it be in the category --other things
we do? This is one of the things I was stressing about model
builds being primarily paper which is what this forum supports...Ron
Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
I think it's a great idea, some of my builds would fall into that category, using different materials, making things fly or installing lights and electric motors, it's just letting your imagination go..but ( at least I am ) start off with a paper-model. I remember this guy over at Zealot who was building museum-quality diorama's using every thing that he could lay his hands on, not exactly papermodeling but very interesting to follow his builds...but there was no category he would fit in; scratch-build would...
Old 12-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Banned

Talking Der flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron40 View Post
A good case in point. A build just showed up that is essentially
plastic but uses a paper model for patterns and formers. Should
this be allowed or should it be in the category --other things
we do? This is one of the things I was stressing about model
builds being primarily paper which is what this forum supports...Ron

Comradeship, common interest, extolling others and admiration of their work and the ability to display one's own work, is what I believe make this forum great. I am thinking about making the "Steyr RSO" Model out of aluminum flashing. I would use paper for most of the other components.

It also seems to me that if Billy Leliveld thinks it's a good idea, and he has some treasures he wants to share (boy has my curiosity just piqued, Billy!), adding to those that he already has (there must be more than 24 hours to a day over there), and SilverOxide, another of this forums master builders and designers (I am not in this group, it is my opinion of their expertise) think it is a good idea, , then I think it has some merit.

Not my parade though, I have never been worthy of attending most parades, let alone have my own parade.

Maybe a diagram with a flow chart might help people navigate the forum. I am not being facetious. We use these extensively in preparing 4 and 5 axis machine programs for really, really, expensive parts. The flow chart attached serves as a good example. Having click-able sections would make it easier to jump to that section.
Attached Thumbnails
Scratch building forum?-flow-chart.jpeg  
Old 12-02-2010, 12:59 AM

Talking

Would not that be feceitious?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.44 MB
I can understand the points to both sides of the debate.

Though, I would like easy reference as to whether a build in a thread or a series of pictures for show and tell are original designs, one-offs... or if the build represents something more meticulously planned and designed for distribution. The latter, I suppose, is where the design forum comes in.

As wanna-be designer, I take real advantage of the tips and techniques of of some real problem solvers in this community. Some of my favorite examples, Ekuth's giant Battlestar Galactica, Paper Kosmonaut's Wet orbital Workshop (pre-Skylab), and there are so many others. Making some of that information easier to find would be awesome.
Google Adsense