PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Why not a "Like Button"?

I've been seen some threads with a lots of views but no responses , or few ones. Which is sad sometimes because the models are great.

I thought a lot of times the members likes some build or model but they're in a hurry, or they don't like to put another post with just the words "great" or "beautiful" .

Why not add a "Like Button" like other forums. Just the positive one if someone has a critic is better to write and explain it.

Regards
Alcides

Pdta: I've tried searching about this topic but I can't found anything in the forum.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
I "like" your suggestion...

The only thing I see as a possible issue is many people may just "like" something and not bother commenting on it (including regular comment posters). This could result in fewer comments and thus a less informative forum.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Zuckerberg would sue. How about a thumbs up and thumbs down emoticon?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Question What's there to Like?

To me the "Like" is just an acknowledgement that I see your post. It adds no value other than pump the ego of the originator. However, it is harmless, and I'm OK with it.

My thoughts only.

Isaac
Old 06-11-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebeltex View Post

The only thing I see as a possible issue is many people may just "like" something and not bother commenting on it (including regular comment posters). This could result in fewer comments and thus a less informative forum.
Well that could be a negative effect but I think if some guy has a suggestion he it's going to write it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Trail View Post
Zuckerberg would sue. How about a thumbs up and thumbs down emoticon?
I think is ok too, the important think is the idea but I don't agree with the dislike option. I've seen the negative one in other forums is a source for trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
To me the "Like" is just an acknowledgement that I see your post. It adds no value other than pump the ego of the originator. However, it is harmless, and I'm OK with it.
Isaac
Well I think you have the views statistics to see how many people see your posts. I believe the like button has to be used for something we appreciate but this is just my thought too.

Regards
Alcides
Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.79 MB
It's a nice idea.

But I'm thinking that today's modern society has too many things to make our life simplified as it is. Television remotes prevent us from getting up out of our chairs, we can pop some popcorn without the measuring and stove-side waiting, and texting allows us to ignore spelling and sentence structure.

I do think a "like" button is a great suggestion. It might help some people who feel too shy to write even a simple word (I use the word "Nice!" often myself when I don't feel like writing a whole sentence). But taking the time to write and post a reply seems like a more meaningful response due to the little extra effort we put into saying it.

Okay I'm done. Thanks for attending the seminar.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
Thumbs up

Of course, every option like a "like" button counter, adds to the storage space or server space or whatever it is, and adds to the overall cost of running the site. Since it's free (to me anyway), I'm in favor of keeping their costs down. Thanks to all the moderators and admins for this great site!!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeR View Post
But I'm thinking that today's modern society has too many things to make our life simplified as it is. Television remotes prevent us from getting up out of our chairs, we can pop some popcorn without the measuring and stove-side waiting, and texting allows us to ignore spelling and sentence structure.
But our hobby is against all laziness: we don't glue cylinders together we roll it. We don't sand wheels: we make it from parts and son on. We're against the laziness in our hobby!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeR View Post
I do think a "like" button is a great suggestion. It might help some people who feel too shy to write even a simple word (I use the word "Nice!" often myself when I don't feel like writing a whole sentence). But taking the time to write and post a reply seems like a more meaningful response due to the little extra effort we put into saying it.
Mi point with this is sometimes you see a very nice model and after that a lot of post, sometimes several pages, with just the words: Great!! Very Nice!!! Very clean!!! and it's difficult to read the whole post. So you can replace it for the like button and keep the threads more clean.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
A "Thanks" button on each post is common on most forums.
In fact, it is an expected part of a forum layout for many.

I never really understood it myself, but many people seem to prefer hitting
the Thanks button, rather than making a post. (lazy?)

Some forums that I am a member of, actually demand you use the thanks
button to reveal certain information or elements in the posts...like Links.
(Maybe its just a way of making sure you're a human?)

I know of other Forums, where the posters themselves seem to care more
about how many thanks they get...like collecting points.

And one forum I am a member of, actually indicates, next to your Avatar,
how many posts you have made,
how many times you have thanked others
and how many times you have been thanked in posts.

In the end, I guess it depends on the type of forum
and what everyone expects from the threads and posts in that forum.
As a modeling forum its more important (in my opinion) to get real feedback and critiques
...not just an endless list of compliments (or thanks).

Funny, I was on a forum yesterday, where a post had been made about the passing of a certain "celebrity"
and the author of the thread asked that nobody followed up with any condolence posts.
The author went on to say that these types of posts are crass and without proper meaning (to which I agree),
and asked that if someone felt the need to post, that they share something like a real story about the celebrity or a personal connection.

To me this made a lot of sense...especially not being religious.
In the end, i think its more important to say something constructive
and meaningful rather than repeating pointless sentiments
or hitting a "thanks" button.

...then again, maybe a thanks button is an acceptable alternative to meaningless posts.
At least it puts a number on how many have read the post or might be interested in what you have to say.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceM View Post
Of course, every option like a "like" button counter, adds to the storage space or server space or whatever it is, and adds to the overall cost of running the site.
Yes and No. I don't know about this particular forum but a lot of times the software has some capabilities like for example this one included and the space is wasted. So really here the last word is from Jason. On the other hand is you have 20 post with just a couple of words to say Nice or Great. Don't take just more space than the counter?