PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Throwback Thursday

Old 05-26-2016, 12:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
1/16 scale P-39N Airacobra from 2005

So it’s Thursday again, and time for your happy revisiting of quality models from the past. This time, courtesy of the Wayback Machine, you will get both the model and the context - the portal page of Cardmodels net for 26 May 2005 (11 years ago to the day!), and a Picture of the Week featuring my build of the Halinski P-39N Airacobra rescaled to 1/16, slightly more than double the original printed size.

Those were glorious paper modeling days for me. I had just realized that the design and quality of printed paper models - very new to me at the time - were so good that they would easily stand a doubling of scale. And the Airacobra was my test case.

This was also the first time I took to photographing and writing up the entire build process, much like a diary or ongoing modeling adventure shared with others in more or less real time. Great time, fine memories.

I’ll add one more photo from that period. This is me pondering the impressive size of the model at the stage where the wings were added:

I was going on 60 at the time, and still working. I also dressed better than today. But then again, I had no clue of how to change the color temperature of my photos. Or make decent size photos. Very small photos we used to publish in those days. Otherwise people with phone modems complained about exessive loading times. Things really do change very quickly…

The model is still hanging from the roof above me. A couple of years ago (hah - seven years ago in fact; just noticed) I took it down for cleaning. That was an adventure in its own right. Read about it here: Spring Cleaning.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
1/16 scale P-39N Airacobra from 2005-cardmodels.net-airacobra-pow.jpg   1/16 scale P-39N Airacobra from 2005-wings-6.jpg  
Old 05-26-2016, 05:36 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I remember that! Glad to know it is still around.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-26-2016, 06:53 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Yep.......... about the time I found Card Modeling and watched for each post with awe and respect! I remember signing on each night in eager anticipation for each new post..........

My Drawings
Old 05-26-2016, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm glad to see you bringing these scenes of the past back to life, Leif. I remember your giant P-39. You also did a lot of small-scale (1/87) modeling in those days, and I remember the little cabinet you made for storing parts.

I hope you are recovering well from your injury and that we will see a lot of you in the Forum once again.

Don
Old 05-26-2016, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
That's before I got into this hobby, but even today, it is very impressive
Google Adsense
Old 05-26-2016, 12:50 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
A Decade of Progress...,

Hi Leif,

Hard to believe that was over a decade ago! Time flies when you're having fun as the saying goes.

I was just re-reading A380's post on the Emblazer laser cutter which made me realize that we are entering a new era of modeling. Combining laser cutting with 3D printing will permanently change the way we model.

Are you anticipating further 1:16 builds. Please take your time - I love watching your builds progress...,

Best,

-Gil
Old 05-26-2016, 12:58 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
As Simon Phoenix says in Demolition Man, "A blast from the past!"
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo