PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 07-28-2012, 12:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
exacto blades

The last time I was at Michaels, I noticed that exacto is now made in China. I am fortunate to have a "life time" supply of made in USA blades. If you want to find a good knife set, try the set made by Gordon at Harbor freight. I bought one and am impressed with handles and blades.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
My experience is that just about anything bought as "new" these days is absolute crap in the quality department (paper model kits being a glaring exception to that rule....competition does wonders in the truly free marketplace). My solution is to surf Ebay on a daily basis looking for "vintage" tools and supplies, especially Xacto brand. Xacto products manufactured 'back in the day' had good enough quality that, with reasonable care on the part of the original owner, even 50 years later are still superior to what is currently on the market.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
I have my very first #11 blade and still use after 31 years, I just resharpen it and keep going. With 500 blades, you would think that I would "retire" it.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to ultra
well i use surgical blades i buy them from medical supplies stores

i have a pack of 100 blades (not a brand) but they are pretty much strong so far the tip broke off cause i dropped it about 4 times

hope i helped

ultra stone
Old 07-28-2012, 11:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by at6 View Post
The last time I was at Michaels, I noticed that exacto is now made in China. I am fortunate to have a "life time" supply of made in USA blades. If you want to find a good knife set, try the set made by Gordon at Harbor freight. I bought one and am impressed with handles and blades.
X-acto sells US made blades under the x-life and z-11 models. They also sell blades from China. Buy x-life or z-11 x-acto blades which are the best available.
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2012, 09:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
All my Xacto tools are at least 20 years old- some are pushing 40. All work perfectly well, and I expect my son will use them some day. May of the the blades are 20+ years old. I occasionally strop them on an old piece of leather and they do just fine. I did pick up a 5-pack of the newfangled Z-11 blades. Haven't tried them yet-waiting for my current #11 blade to wear out, and it shows no sign of doing so, now that I bought the fancy new blades.

Erik