PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Notes: Reply to dell_zantoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell_zantoz View Post
I did some a while back using 0.015 diameter silver-bearing solder wires I got from RadioShack. Used gel type CA glue to join the joints. The good thing about it, it is you can bend it any which way you want...,
Hi Dell,

Are they are silver solder?

Regards, +Gil
Old 04-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 135.14 MB
I guess so. Here s the link to the product.
Silver-Bearing Solder (1 Oz.) - RadioShack.com
Old 04-05-2011, 11:01 PM

Notes: Update

Carl,

I'll provide the details via QCL.

Best regards, +Gil
Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 AM

Note: Missed Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Maybe this this thread should have been called, "Hey Barry, How do you make your ship rails?". Kind of wraps it up for me. Though, I doubt I can reproduce it, but that's a personal failure.
Hi John,

Somehow I missed your post.

I have to agree that Barry has been making guard rails longer than most of us have been on Papermodelers. The main reason for this thread is to explore existing methods and techniques to not only expose modelers to them but to also develop and/or simplify ways to accomplish the task of making realistic looking ship's guard rails.

I've taken a slight break from actively posting online, but have instead, been working in the background with several other members on a method that I think all will find useful.

+Gil
Old 04-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Gil, I read every post you make. There's always something to learn.
Google Adsense
Old 04-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
OK I have been making rails for a long time but I would be glad of seeing a better method, especially one that saved a bit of time. Battleships at 1/200 th have an awful lot of inches of rails.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:06 PM

Notes: Me Too...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
OK I have been making rails for a long time but I would be glad of seeing a better method, especially one that saved a bit of time. Battleships at 1/200 th have an awful lot of inches of rails.

Hi Barry,

That's what this thread is all about.

I was looking at Conway's Anatomy of the Ship series book on Dreadnought and it refreshed my senses as to the amount and variety of "Guard Rails" required to keep the crew on-board [in a manner of speaking].

Carl and I have been collaborating on the subject and have discovered some interesting avenues for accelerating the construction of guard rails [Henry J would be proud]. But as usual there are unintended problems that have cropped up making us both to go into the "go back" and "why'd it do that?" mode. It's even required the use of microscope of all things.

I looked through my collection of ship modeling books in an effort to see if anyone had ideas as to making a better guard rail. Needless to say it just gave heart to those who "etch-a-fret" guard rail. Carl calls them "gracile" and I have to concur that they also charge "gracile" for them.

As the saying goes; "If it's successful, pictures and words, and if it's not, just words...,".

+Gil

Last edited by Gil; 04-09-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Gil and I (following Gil's direction) have explored a LOT of possibilities for producing railings. The difficulty isn't just the railings but the 1:250 scale. Soldered railings seem to work well enough at 1:100, perhaps even 1:200 but we haven't yet done it for 1:250 in an appealing way.

So far, in my opinion, Mike's overlaid card/paper strips, in some variation, has as many pluses as anything. I've actually installed some railings built with Gil's discoveries onto Iowa but am not certain about whether to propagate them.

The techniques that we exploring may actually work fairly well for 1:200 since the major drawbacks stage seem to be about formability and this could be less rigorous at the larger scale.

Personally I would like one a process that can be adapted even lower for people, including me, that would like to build at 1:400.

It is probably needless to say that this investigation has slowed down my work on Iowa a little...

Carl
Old 04-10-2011, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Modern ships also have miles of railing. This is the Greek tanker Delta Ocean. Long stretches of the railing are straight, but there is also a substantial amount of complex guard railing. : Ship Photos

Don
Old 09-29-2011, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 124.56 MB
Carl mentiond a "So far, in my opinion, Mike's overlaid card/paper strips," from "Mike" Does anyone have a quick link to that techique?

Thanks
Lonnie
Google Adsense