PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
That looks pretty go to me! Hard to tell details from that distance. As long as the frame is symmetrical and the longitudinal members are flush with the vertical members where they meet, she should have a fair hail (fair in the Nautical sense).
Old 10-19-2011, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Just saying hello, Ron! And looking forward to a Snipe in 1:24. Enlarging, are you? Good news! - L.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:09 PM

Thanks again for the advice and the inspirational comments! As it's sitting now, decks are all cut, 98% of the bulkheads are glued in and I'm trying to get up the testicular fortitude to start the first layer of card 'planking'. I can't say enough about the suggestions to construct a base to ensure 'fairness'! As it sits after the glue curing there is a small list to port that will be easily corrected (fraction of a millimetre)
This week coming up I'll be grabbing the cherry veneer strips and if available some lighter veneer for the decks. I picked up Anatomy of the Ship: The 74-Gun Ship Bellona and a couple others on rigging and ship model building in general. I need to figure out plank widths and a few other things before I get going full steam

Leif, It's good to hear from you I've been watching with great interest as you enlarge and build your Chipmunk. Your building was actually my inspiration to start the Snipe. When Marek released that kit along with a couple others there seemed to be a few discrepancies in the engines. I need to find a good Bentley Br2 or modify something existing in another kit. Other than that, His Snipe is a real sweetheart and I say it all the time, one of his best models

See ya soon guys!
Ron
Old 10-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
One Bentley BR-2 coming up by email. Holler if it doesn't reach you. Will let you get back to your beautiful ship now... - L.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:03 PM

Hi Guys

Just a few progress pics so Bellona doesn't look like another false start! How can you tell winter is setting in? My brain and my hand-eye coordination slows down to match the state of molasses. Anyways...the first planking of the lower hull is complete. Now I'm moving on to the upper portions. I was really surprised with how the transition from bow to stern goes so smoothly! I didn't use any paper strips to increase my bonding area but that is now changed as you can see on the upper part of the hull. The first planking is basically 65-75lb card but the next one will be of 1mm stuff. What else is surprising is the minor amount of filling I'll need to do (knock on wood). Thank you to everyone that has done a ship build here and everywhere else on the net. Doris, if you are watching, your Bellona hull re-planking was inspiring along with your Victory and your Sovereign of the Seas! Leif, As usual I am in your debt! Having you along for a modeling session is a blessing

The pictures are terrible but unfortunately I'm still saddled with my son's camera phone.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Looks great so far Ron. You should put a thread in the ships section ...so we can follow your ship..
Old 11-02-2011, 08:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.42 MB
Hi Ron,
That is some mighty fine work you have done so far, excelent start.
If you are still looking for real wood veneer, go to the lumber/hardware store and see if they have some edge banding for plywood. It comes in a variety of woods is veneer thickness (0.022"/0.55mm) and about 1" wide by several feet long in a roll about 6" diameter.

George
Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Glen, I'm going to start one..good advice! Thanks George, I tried that route with some oak edge stripping i had and found it a bit too coarse. I have about 250 pre cut 3/16 x 24" cherry strips with some more of a different width on the way from Lee Valley Tools. If you guys want a laugh you should see my strip cutting device I made to cut the maple business cards! It didn't work well but looks like something an evil surgeon would use! There was too much wobble when used against a straight edge with a bit of pressure. Anyone try that little hand held balsa and boxwood slicer?