PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Silver Card-stock

Hi Folks,

I have just found some usable silver card-stock. It's the own brand stuff from Hobbycraft. Just this evening, I have carried out a test-shot with one of the pages from the Ford Tri-motor and it has worked to an acceptable standard. I set my printer to accept shiny photo paper with a medium quality setting. There is slight pooling in some of the more solid black areas, (so perhaps I should fine tune the settings) but nothing that can't be fixed. As I speak, the ink is still wet, so I will leave it overnight and check it tomorrow.
The card itself is A4, 220 gsm and is around £5 for 8 sheets.

All the best and happy modelling,

Bernie
Google Adsense
Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Great, in this part of the world and all! I am looking forward to photos, of course... I looked up Hobbycraft, and it looks like the kind of place where teachers in arts & crafts, scrapbookers, etc., get their material. The corresponding firm here in Scandinavia would be Panduro, I believe. I looked up that too on the web, and as it turns out Panduro has a UK branch as well. How would you say the two companies compare (just to get an idea of what you think of Panduro, if at all familiar to you).

Leif
Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I use a cheap silver cardstock, it comes in A3 sheets and I get them for $2 per sheet, one sheet lasts me for ages depending what I build. The most I've ever used was on my recent Mammoet truck build however I've never tried printing on it as I don't think the printer ink will hold, so instead I print onto copy paper and laminate it to the back of the silver card, then build my parts inside out after cutting and scoring. Sometimes if I want thinner card I de-laminate the paper from the silver, for even thinner than that the silver card can be delaminated also, leaving a silver foil-like sheet about 100gsm at the most.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 12-02-2011, 10:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Jaffro, is paper you're using the Chromolux that Stratmore makes? Was looking at some earlier today at a craft store and thinking about buying a sheet to experiment with.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I'm not aware of a maker at all, it's just a fairly decent cardstock with a silver foil layer, about 250gsm. I bought it from an office supplies shop in the "arty crafty" section, it's actually A2 size, I just noticed, not A3, the only branding it has on it is a barcode sticker. (I'm in Australia by the way but I have no idea where it's made). I just used a heap of it in my Mammoet Truck build, when I don't crease it too much or spill to much glue on it, it has a perfect mirror finish (check out pics in the link below, especially the ones of the finished truck taken outside in the sunlight.)

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Google Adsense
Old 12-03-2011, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.44 MB
Send a message via AIM to Cybermac Send a message via MSN to Cybermac
Hi!

Great news as I am planning some 'silver' airliners in the future:-)
Many thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Maybe it will be of interest to somebody...
I recently purchased Metallic Silver photo paper from here Inkjet Station | [Inkjet Station.
On my Epson R300 results are much, much better than using the Red River paper. All colors look sharp and stay in place. They advise to seal the pages with Print Shield spray (this will be my next test), but so far I didn't encounter any smudging or smearing while touching the print with bare hands. Card has good "weight" to it and silver color is easy on the eyes, again huge improvement over the Red River paper.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Michael,

I'd be interested to see how well it folds, and if any ink flakes off at the crease.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
I'm planning to cover half of the page (down the fuselage centerline) with paper and spray it with Print Shield, then build few segments of P-51 Mustang to see how paper looks and acts both protected and not. I will post results here.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
OH! Can we see some pics? Do the colors look solid? I know they were kind of transluscent on RR paper.
Chris