PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 07-02-2012, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
try some printing places they may be able to order you corrugated paper I did here a while a back that it was getting discontinued,.. getting it from a printer does afford you to purchase it in 3ft x 4ft sheets for waaaaaay cheaper then craft shops
Old 12-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.20 MB
ribbed paper

If its available to you JoAnne Fabrics and Michaels have some stuff that I saw at one time. It usually runs from .50 cents to a dollar a sheet. Not too bad if you use it once and awhile. Its obviously in the scrapbooking area. Also saw a pack of different thickness card stock and what looks like cerael box cardboard, same pack, for less than twenty. This makes it nice not to hava a gazillion ceral boxes stuffed along side the fridge.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Or the hard way, a steel straight edge and a pizza cutter disk to gently roll in individual spaces between the ribs ...
Yogi
Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Thanks guys for thinking of me and posting!

I've gotten some from Michaels and various scrapbooking places now and again. I was looking for a rather steady, stable, and reliable supply of various types and sizes for flying rocket projects... the ribbed paper comes in very handy for simulating the interstage and forward/aft skirts of the stages, and ribbed thrust structures. I've had a rocket kit manufacturer ask me about it before, when I was showing some ribbed cardstock glued to the tubes of my 1/152 scale Saturn V and Saturn I-F.

Sometimes there is no substitute for the "crease your own using a dead ink pen and a firm surface" method... the aforementioned Saturn V scratchbuild required it for the conical S-II interstage, and for the conical S-IC outer F-1 engine fairings...

It takes a little time, but the effort is well worth it.

Later and thanks again! OL JR
Old 12-20-2012, 04:51 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
There is a crimping tool that makes the rib edges. http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/a...things-020.jpg I bought mine a the local hobby store AC Moore but I have seen it at Hobby lobby and at Walmart in the Martha Stewart craft section. The roller inside has beveled rollers and the rollers come in different bevels. This one is good for paper but not on soft metal sheets but I have seen a metal version for use on thin brass and copper sheets.
Google Adsense
Old 12-25-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
There is a crimping tool that makes the rib edges. http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/a...things-020.jpg I bought mine a the local hobby store AC Moore but I have seen it at Hobby lobby and at Walmart in the Martha Stewart craft section. The roller inside has beveled rollers and the rollers come in different bevels. This one is good for paper but not on soft metal sheets but I have seen a metal version for use on thin brass and copper sheets.
Thanks... yes, my SIL gave me one of those she had for scrapbooking... it's a good idea, but the corrugations are FAR too large for the typical rocket model...

Although I have thought of various ways of making something similar with much finer "gears" to crimp the paper in a much finer pattern...

Thanks! OL JR
Old 12-25-2012, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Great thread!

Dark grey or silver-metallic 'corrugated' or 'ribbed' paper would be excellent to have when building those metal Junkers airplane models.

Bengt
Old 12-27-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Fredén View Post
Great thread!

Dark grey or silver-metallic 'corrugated' or 'ribbed' paper would be excellent to have when building those metal Junkers airplane models.

Bengt
Interestingly enough, I managed to get some of that very stuff from Michael's craft supply store. It was in a 'collection" of ribbed cardstock in the scrapbooking section. It is a FOIL covered ribbed cardstock with a metallic finish in various "anodized" colors...

BT-80 based Saturn V/ "Saturn I-F"

BT-80 based Saturn V/ "Saturn I-F"

Hope this helps! OL JR