PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.63 MB
Dear friend greetings:

the solution to all your problems is 3D Max ... a bit heavy at first ... but with a little patience, when you will have a medium knowledge about this software...your probabilities will be UNLIMITED when design
Old 02-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yeah move to 3dsmax - free for 3 years as a student....

Anyway, it's the way you have things set up and what mode your in.
Go to side view, create your curve as usual, don't wory if it creates it in the top view - your gonna delete it, then go to edit mode, then pres F9, in the panel at the bottom it'll say "back", "front" and "3D", make sure the 3D one is selected.
Then delete the curve and create a new one, it should now align to the side view.
It will always align to the view your in.
You can always resort to rotating things by pressing N.

This is why I don't use blender, always in the wrong view, mode, or window, it makes doing the simplest things difficult, unless your an expert, and as a beginner you constantly have to save your work or you mess it up completely. There used to be no UNDO function - seriously....
Old 02-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I am far from being a student so thats out. I think I am gonna try that daz3d I just got for free that Darwin pointed out - anyone using it?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
You're better off than I am. I don't even know what a bezier curve is
Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Design Admin

Its basically a way to draw a long smooth curve from a few strategically located points
Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Banned

Have you seen this site? It seems to be a real "Step by Step" type of instruction. I wish I could have found something similar when I needed it!! Still do actually, for Rhino though!

Doc:2.4/Tutorials/Modeling/Curves/Bézier - BlenderWiki

Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 PM

A less feature rich (but free) version of 3dsmax is gmax. Read here:
Introduction on How to design Paper Model Using Computer Software Tutorial
Download from here:
Gmax - Free Download
While you won't be able to render the models, you will be able to create and texture them.

Hexagon 2.5d (which was/is available from daz) is a modeller, much in the same vein as Silo3d, both of which whose primary purpose is to generate models (which can then be translated to paper).

The most feature rich (and with a lovely price tag) is likely still Blender, but it does have a steep learning curve (I found it frustrating when I tried to use it as well). I know there is someone who published an ebook specifically on making paper models with Blender, and uploaded it to deviantart I believe. I know the thread is in this forum somewhere.

If you want the flexibility and ease of use of Rhino without the cost, you can look here:
MoI, 3D modeling for designers and artists
It's not free, and it doesn't include the capability to unroll surfaces (you can export to a pepakura friendly format and unfold there), but it is MUCH cheaper. This program was written by a fellow who essentially invented Rhino.

The 3d package itself is just a matter of taste, as in what works best for you and what you can get it to do. Just look at all the great paper models that have been made without the aid of a computer. I don't want to hijack your thread with a bunch of input on different software, but if you need further assistance I'll be happy to reply in private.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:34 AM

Concerning the placement/orientation of new objects in Blender, make sure to press the 'Save As Default' button after you set the preferences as I outlined in my previous reply. Also note that, the placement of new objects appear where the 3D cursor is located. The 3D cursor looks like a white and red dotted circle that is placed with the left mouse button, while right mouse button clicks will select objects. The left/right mouse buttons can be reversed in preferences.

Try the following and let me know if it works for you. Locate the 3D cursor where you want the object placed by clicking with the left mouse button or press [Shift Key] + C to locate the 3D cursor at the origin. Then press [Control Key] + Num Pad [.] to center the 3D cursor in your view, this is important when in perspective view but not in orthographic view. Now we are ready to place a new object. Try adding the Monkey mesh object and it should appear face on in your current view if the preferences are set as I described in an earlier reply and you have the 3D cursor where you want it and centered on the screen if in perspective view. If this does not work let me know and I am sure we can figure out why. I hope these instructions make sense and just be patient while learning Blender, its worth it in the long run.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Design Admin

ok - I started all over from scratch (no prob since I never really got anything done...)

it still does not alter it based on my view. It ALWAYS goes into the top ortho.

Zathros - thanks for the link, seen it though plus I am using 2.6 which is A LOT different then 2.4 :(
Attached Thumbnails
Drawing a bezier curve in blender-front-ortho.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
Its basically a way to draw a long smooth curve from a few strategically located points
Aah. I use that feature in Rhino all the time. Never knew what it was called though.
Google Adsense