PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 05-24-2012, 08:52 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
To everyone who runs CIS or aftermarket ink in their Epsons (and other printers): How do you combat clogged print heads? I have gone through 3 Epsons, a Canon, and a Brother printer all using aftermarket inks, and consistently the print head eventually clogs beyond repair without breaking open the whole printer to pull out the head and clean it properly (a repair that can cost more than a new printer). Pretty sure it's due to the aftermarket ink. Thoughts?
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Here is one method to try to unclogg the print head:

Cleaning Epson Print Heads

I have done the same thing using rubbing alcohol instead of Windex. Results vary with the position of the planets, moon phase, and tides.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
From time to time my printer heads (two Epson printers) will clog, but running few cleaning cycles takes care of the problem.
The key I guess is to NEVER turn off the printer - a guy I bought my CIS system told me that after I contacted him about clogged printheads after CIS installation.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 438.07 MB
To YukonJohn ... I have that same printer (MFC-J6510dw) and so far it is working fine. I have put some 110lb stock through it without any problem. The colour seems to be fine when printed.

I originally bought it to do scans and print outs for wood carving/burning patterns and scale wagon building plans, but it is working fine for the paper modelling as well.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 10-29-2012, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Why, based on the responses in this thread, doesn't anyone use or recommend a laser printer?

Gene K
Google Adsense
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Laser printed paper models tend to crack when scored and folded.

Don
Old 10-30-2012, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Laser printed paper models tend to crack when scored and folded.
Thanks, Don.

I'm not an experienced paper modeler, but the laser printed models I've played with don't really show excessive cracking. A scored and folded piece does show a little cracking, but a little swipe of color matching chalk pastels makes the "damage" almost invisible. Repeated bending will, of course accentuate any cracking along a score.

As far as shaping pieces by bending, etc, I've not had a problem.

I'm currently using a very inexpensive Dell model 1250C - the deal here is almost unbelievable - and the shipping's free! At that price, I bought a spare!

The Dell handles 67# paper handily, but doesn't want to feed 110# (I tape a small strip of regular paper across the leading edge to fake out the paper thickness sensor, and it works fine). The only other limitation for me is that the maximum paper size is 11x14".

Gene K