PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 09-17-2013, 12:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
A question

can you buy sets of paper punches in varying diameters to cut round holes in models before assembly.specifically for cutting out such things as gun mounts in ship decking
Google Adsense
Old 09-17-2013, 12:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Yes you can.

6 IN1 Automatic Hole Punch Tool Cutter For Sewing Leather Craft Paper PVC Banner[01020120]-in Hole Punch from Office & School Supplies on Aliexpress.com

Gasket Leather Plastic Hole Punch Tool Set 9 Piece 2mm 10mm | eBay
Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 AM

Smile

they look great will shop around craft shops here in new zealand.was gonna sharpen edges of various diameter tubing
Old 09-17-2013, 01:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
I use dermal punches (from ebay) they are available in sizes from 1.5mm up to 10mm

Not cheap but do the job nicely

Tim
Old 09-17-2013, 03:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I got mine from Mitre 10 and Bunnings...I have a few nail punches in varying sizes that are good for just punching holes i.e. when you don't want the bit that gets punched out; one of the leather punches with various size punches ona rotating head and a set of punches in sizes from 2-10mm that are handy for both punching holes and punching our round parts...anything above 10mm I can use my compass cutter and nail clippers for. Spotlight often has useful punchy things too...
Google Adsense
Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
You may also want to google Japanese hole drill/punch. Sometimes they are called this. I bought one from a book binder supply store and have a range of bits from 1 mm to 5 mm. I have found it to be indispensible!

greg
Old 09-18-2013, 12:28 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
I got mine from Mitre 10 and Bunnings...I have a few nail punches in varying sizes that are good for just punching holes i.e. when you don't want the bit that gets punched out; one of the leather punches with various size punches ona rotating head and a set of punches in sizes from 2-10mm that are handy for both punching holes and punching our round parts...anything above 10mm I can use my compass cutter and nail clippers for. Spotlight often has useful punchy things too...
thanx for that.guess im out shopping on saturday
Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
One of the things that I haven't got round to doing was to get a couple of chunks or clear perspex about a 1/2 inch thick and mount them on pins so that they are locked in place relative to each other; and then get a set of metric and imperial drill bits and drill a hole through both with each size bit. By cutting the butt end of each bit flush and then reaming it so it was concave and able to act as the cutting surface against paper, I was hoping to make a punch and die set for paper with a broad range of diameters. I thin I got as far as getting the sets of drill bits which I have now misplaced...
Old 09-18-2013, 03:10 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
One of the things that I haven't got round to doing was to get a couple of chunks or clear perspex about a 1/2 inch thick and mount them on pins so that they are locked in place relative to each other; and then get a set of metric and imperial drill bits and drill a hole through both with each size bit. By cutting the butt end of each bit flush and then reaming it so it was concave and able to act as the cutting surface against paper, I was hoping to make a punch and die set for paper with a broad range of diameters. I thin I got as far as getting the sets of drill bits which I have now misplaced...
thats sounds like a plan.i was going to get several steels tubes of various diameters and just put sharp ends on them using grinder
Old 09-18-2013, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yep, looks like making your own would be a bit cheaper than buying one . MicroMark has this:Micro Punch Set for $59.95 USD.
Google Adsense