PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
i get my aprox 0.5mm and 1mm from papermodel store and the nearly 2mm is just plain old $15 for a 3 pack illustration board. that board is 20x30 inch stuff and took 1.3 sheets for the frames of the repulse, course i do need to get another pack some time for the...ahem....prince of wales and the sheffield that should be arriving in a couple days.. heh, gonna have a small brit fleet
Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Pizza boxes anyone?

I was wondering if someone had tried pizza boxes as a basis for making 2mm laminates? Having read this thread, I was alert when throwing away an old pizza box, so I saved a flap and laminated it both sides with 200g paper.

200g paper is ca 0.175mm thick when laminated to something, and 0.15mm clean. According to Mike Bauer's list (if I managed to read it right) that would make it #100.

(I do not profess to be familiar with the #-system, but neither is the grammes per square meter particularly helpful, other than as a comparison between different weight papers; thickness really is a better measure for us as modelers.)

The finished laminate is exactly 2mm thick, which is rare. The impossibly hard artists board I have used before is not exactly 2mm, and a real pain to cut (I've had to use a power fret saw not to get insane).

The Depron I favor at the moment is not exactly 2mm either. When laminated both sides the composite is 3mm which really is a bit too thick.

I think the laminated pizza box might make sense for ships bulkheads, formers in aircraft, etc. It cuts really nice, at least straight cuts. Haven't tried curves yet.

I am a bit hesitant to use it as a basis for making thin vintage aircraft frameworks, though, since the corrugation would make the end result a bit unpredictable at certain angles.

But it's worth a try. I think I'll have to pop round to the pizza place and buy or huste a couple of clean, unfolded pizza cartons.

By the way, the largest unfolded space of such a carton is 28 x 28cm. Says so on the carton. So top & bottom of one carton would suffice to two A4 or Letter size sheets plus sundry details.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Card thicknesses...-pizzabox.jpg  
Old 04-29-2009, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Thanks Leif,

Never thought od doing this! Could lighten and make my wing spars and ribs stronger at the same time! Should be allot lighter than four laminations of 125# Tag!

Thanks once again!

Mike
Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.48 MB
Architecture board

It is an old thread but it was mentioned Architecture board 1 mm

It is used for Architectural modeling and it is called BUTTER BOARD
Look in the locale phony book under Architecture supplies.

Is very east to cut curves and is ridged cimes in large sheets 32 X 32 or the like

MAC