PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 04-10-2020, 03:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.68 MB
Upscale from 1/300 to 1/200 or even bigger

I'm not sure if anyone has done this, and if so if you could chime in on your tips and tricks to make it work please.

I am looking to build a 1/300 scale USS Enterprise CVN-65 model from GPM but I want it bigger as I'm looking to add in a lot of parts and do some special things to this model as no one else has done before. I have seen some incredibly beautiful and masterful 1/350 scale versions in magazines. I figure if I can make it bigger, I can do more things to it compared to a smaller scaled version.

The besides being able to do better custom additions to the model ship itself, there is also the fact that the jets, helicopters, vehicles, and even people will look better in a bigger scale. I'm trying to make it look as realistic and detailed as possible.

I understand that this is a huge undertaking and it will take me many hours (most likely years), a million headaches, and probably pull all my hair out but I think it'll be worth it in the end.

So with all that being said, what issues do you think I would have in regards to things like structural integrity both on the inside and out if I literally just increased all the pieces to the correct percentage in order to achieve a 1/200 scale?

What other issues or concerns should I have that I can't foresee at this time?
Google Adsense
Old 04-10-2020, 08:35 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Everyone at one time or another has resized a model, either up or down, there are online scale calculators and we have a number of threads on scaling math.

If this is your first ever paper model, I would suggest you start with simpler kits, especially those which are freely downloadable, this way you can learn how to build models, reprint a sheet or part if you mess up, and this way you won't get discouraged if you were to start out with the Enterprise at the start.

I would also suggest scanning the Enterprise, as a precaution to the above statement of messing up a part, and needing to redo it. This scan is for your own personal use, use it as an emergency backup, and do not share the scan with anyone else, as this is considered piracy.

My suggestion when you get to the scale you want, is to test build various parts, the hull, the internal egg crate, an aircraft, other little bits, and see if they won't become floppy or hold up just fine. You might need to run some numbers on what the scaled up thickness of the formers/egg crate might need to be, I know some people have increased or decreased the thickness based on their chosen scale.

I hope others will chime in as well with their suggestions.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo