PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 04-26-2022, 03:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Hi Dave,

Excellent review. I have been using UHU clear for several years now and have become used to its foibles (strings, fast drying etc.) purely through repeated use. One of the problems I have with PVA is the warping of parts once dry. I find that the joining of long joints for cylinders etc, will bow between formers giving a sort of scalloped look to the undersides where the joints are, due to the contraction of PVA as it dries. This is not so with UHU as it is stable throughout the drying time. As an example, 1. I apply a small amount of glue to the inside edge of of the part to be joined and then attach the joiner-strip to this. 2. allow to dry for a few minutes. I have found that UHU can allow a part to be repositioned more than with the use of PVA. 3. Apply glue to the remaining side and the position this over the joiner-strip. 4. Clamp as needed for a few seconds. 5. I have found that any glue seepage can simply be rubbed off without damaging the surface, do this after a minute or so.

PVA. is till my go-to glue, but I use spray adhesive for large surfaces and C.A. for reinforcing formers. I am sure that I am not alone in having collected a large array of glues over the years, from Aileens Gold/Silver to school glue.

So just my penn'orth folks and have fun with your glue.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 277.20 MB
Being from Germany UHU is part of my DNA. Although later on rivalled by other makes it is over here by far the general favorit. Having said this, UHU comes in a varity of different glues. It all started out with the general glue the one which started this tread. It was sided by one for Polystyrol and one which hardened out completely. Later then came UHU superglues. As for the original one it was sublimented by a string free varity and glue sticks. Both I do not really recommend for the kind of papercraft which this site is about.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
Good Morning,

I am basically in Dave's "camp" in that I've always used Aleene's Tacky Glue and pretty much know its ins-and-outs, and how to compensate for them and even use them to my advantage (the softening of paper is quite an advantage for forming or smoothing small rounded parts). I tried Uhu on the main deck panels for the USS Forrestal and did not get the good results I was hoping for. HOWEVER... Based on reading what some very talented modellers say, including JSC's tutorial videos, I do believe you have to work with each glue for awhile to learn how to really use it the best.

Since I already work happily with Aleene's (which is also inexpensive plus easy to get in the US), getting the results I want, I'm not real motivated to go through another learning curve for Uhu. But I'm not knocking Uhu because it is obviously good glue -- plenty of people here say so.

Best regards,
Kurt
Old 04-26-2022, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I see Uhu has a water-based contact cement.
UHU | Product overview,
Maybe that would have been a better choice for card modeling?

Yeah I'm not knocking Uhu glue...but to me, its just another contact cement.
I thought it was going to be something wildly different...maybe even another form of a PVA Tacky glue.

But for the first year of this hobby, I used nothing but ordinary contact cement.
I bought cheap tubes from the Dollar store.
I learned how to build models with it, I mastered it, I had no issues with it.
To this day, some those models are still in my collection and still on display.

I still have contact cement at hand and use it for various things.
Its just not my primary glue any more.

Same goes with Rokit Card Glue.
Amazing for some things, but overall, there are more disagreeable aspects to this glue.
I keep it handy for certain things, but thats all.

I just wish I hadn't spent so much on (Uhu) glue that will not improve my card modeling experience.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Just like most of you say there just isn't any one all-round glue solution in modeling and this is true to all mediums people use I think. I have 6-7 glues at my desk all the time: Thin CA (I hate it's fumes!), Medium CA, Black CA (rubber toughened?!), water based glue gel glue, normal PVA, UHU Power and UHU Hart. Different jobs need different glues. + Spray glue for big lamination jobs, double sided tape for special purposes... and all of them have their pros and cons. Not to mention how those act differently on different papers and cards. So many variables.
If I had to choose two only I'd go with my regular PVA and UHU Hart, pretty much all I really need.

Tappi
Google Adsense
Old 04-26-2022, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
From my understanding, UHU works best in Europe, Aleene works best in the Americas. Not sure what works best in Australia.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
...Marmite
Old 04-26-2022, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I think both Uhu and Aleene work in Australia. They just have to be applied upside down.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
...Marmite
Hilarious! :D

Tappi
Old 04-26-2022, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.46 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post

Anyway, I've heard about the liquid Uhu glue...not the Uhu Glue sticks.
Which is the only Uhu available to me here in Ontario.
I'm not interested in Glue Sticks.
In Ontario you can get 7ml mini tubes of UHU Extra (all purpose adhesive) from Sunward Hobbies for 79 cents a tube.

UHU All Purpose Extra Adhesive 7ml • Canada's largest selection of model paints, kits, hobby tools, airbrushing, and crafts with online shipping and up to date inventory.

If you are ordering a model from JSC in Poland they also sell UHU Power (45 ml tube) for what works out to around $5 Canadian. Of course postage from Poland required but I find JSC shipping rates very reasonable.

I am relatively new to paper modelling and echo the comments already made. I use many different glues . I like the UHU extra for formers and joining aircraft body segments as there is no distortion after drying. I also like the fact it gives you 'some' time to reposition if required., and for me it is always required.

For PVA glue I have been using WeldBond Universal Adhesive with good results. It distorts parts less than Aleenes Tacky Glue, in my experience. It retails for around $11 Canadian for 420 ml bottle - very reasonable.

I have also had good success with Gorilla Contact Adhesive Clear Grip.

Now only if I could figure out how to use CA glue without making a mess..............

Can't comment on Marmite It's not in the local shop in Deep River!
Google Adsense