PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 04-26-2022, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
should that be vegimite down under
Old 04-26-2022, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
aren't vegamite and marmite the same thing?
I've never had either.
Food with "ite" in the name doesn't appeal to me. lol
Bauxite, termite, vermiculite, granite, cenobite

I've never heard of Sunward Hobbies.
Their site is a bit wonky, but I like the place.
I must look around a bit more.
Do they have a physical store or do they deal online?
I wonder if they sell paper models?
I must ask.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.46 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post

I've never heard of Sunward Hobbies.
Their site is a bit wonky, but I like the place.
I must look around a bit more.
Do they have a physical store or do they deal online?
I wonder if they sell paper models?
I must ask.
I always order online - very fast dependable delivery. They have a physical store - I have never set foot in it. No paper models - but lots of tools, paints, model glues and other stuff. They have an interesting rocket department.

When I first got going on paper models I was always reading about UHU Glue from the European sites. Sunward Hobbies was the only place in Canada that I could find selling it. I bought a few of the mini tubes and started to experiment with it.

I completely understand your comments regarding the 'strings' and I wrecked a few parts in the process. I have had a few 'glue' incidents where I went from clean, organized desk to complete mess with glue in my hair, beard, hands and paper in just a few seconds.

All part of the learning curve....
Old 04-26-2022, 05:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.27 GB
Hey Airdave;

Some thirty-odd years ago I made and sold ships in bottles. The only glue I found that reliably "bent" the sails to the yardarms and withstood the rigors of stuffing them in the bottles was, drum roll please...UHU.
But as with most hobby vs business situations my pursuit of near perfect bottle models made the biz unfeasable. Other glues Elmers, Alenes etc. were great for lots of other applications.

I also made my own "putty" for styrene models by dissolving sprue and spare parts in lacquer thinner laced with toluene glue. Sometimes I would thin it and use it to "preserve" cardpaper parts, I was using to correct or modify my styrene 1/700 waterline ships. If you try this you will need to leave the styrene in the solvent for quite a while before it breaks down then you can thin with lacquer thinner and paint it on with a paint brush. Always use these nasty solvents in a well ventilated workspace.

Cheers
Formerly Styrene

aka David
Old 04-26-2022, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I have enjoyed and learned from this discussion.

Don

PS: I always have both Marmite and Vegemite on hand and I like both, usually on toast with butter. My British and Uc da loi comrades-in-arms tell me that Vegemite is more common in Australia and New Zealand and Marmite is more often found in Europe.
Google Adsense
Old 05-04-2022, 06:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Ha! Very interesting read for me. I am using since I was a kid, so some 50+years. I have often heard people complain about the stringiness and I can't remember ever having a problem with that. Maybe during half a lifetime of usage I have developed some subconscious handling?!? Also I use UHU because it dries slow enough so that I can move parts and align them. Most importantly (esp compared to white glue) it doesn't water down the parts. I do however use the "Flinke Flasche" version in a yellow plastic bottle and not the metal tube shown here. Not sure if and how they are different.

What this shows me is that everybody will use what they find around easily and adapt
Old 05-04-2022, 07:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
Hello,

I'm quite certain - even more so from this discussion - that there is no "Best Glue". There is only "This is what I learned to use and so I like it best" glue. All of you builders are doing a great job with the glue of your choice.

Best regards,
Kurt
Old 05-07-2022, 03:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 128.81 MB
All of the small models I've built were with UHU Clear, and am quite happy with it. Regarding the strings..... I've used this for forming aerials on plastic models (aircraft).... A small dab is put on one surface, then slowly pulled back to form the string and attach to the other surface. It can then be painted. I believe there is a new version of UHU, called Extra Power..... 👍🏻✂️
Old 05-07-2022, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I tried a tube of UHU sometime ago and didn't like the consistency of it. I recently discovered Crafters Pick glue from Hobby Lobby and like it a lot.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Dutchie chiming in.
I have always had access to UHU glues here in the Netherlands. But (maybe) oddly, I have never considered it for paper modeling. I think it smells like the glues I left behind with plastic models. And the Flinke Flasche (Big Bottle) someone else mentioned, I considered more to be an office glue. Glueing paper, yes, but more like 2D-papercraft, scrapbook stuff. At least not as a genuine glue for (scale) model making.

You can change and twist the top for larger surfaces.

There are non-brand clones available with almost the same type of viscosity and all of them I think are just too liquid. I need glue that stays in the place I put it, not stuff that spreads out. I think the metal tube-based glue is a little different from this bottle glue because this is not really 'stringy', more like a

When I got into this hobby, I did some research, mainly here and the forum-which-I will-not-name and concluded that white glue was the way to go. I started out with actual wood glue. It was cheap, very easy to get in big quantities and it worked well.

Later on I found aleene's transparent tacky glue in the hobby sho in town. I was happy with that because its tacky qualities and because you could fiddle with it after attaching a part. The white Aleene's in the gold bottle was like the good old wood glue but just a tad tackier and less liquid. Since then, I mainly but not exclusively use Aleene's.
But like other people in this thread, I also use other glues, like types of CA.

And here in the shops I have only ever found Marmite, never any Vegemite. And I still am not sure I like it. (-: