PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 08-14-2022, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
There is very thin plywood for cabinet-making. That's what I was talking about. I think it may also be called veneer board. In German, they make a distinction between "Sperrholz" (ordinary plywood) and "Tischlerplatte" (cabinet-making plywood), but to the best of my knowledge in English it's all called plywood. I thought that saying "thin plywood" would be clear enough.

In the online catalogue for Gerstaecker they have Bristol board ("Bristolkarton" in German) in several weights. I live in Germany but English is my native language and I started doing artwork in the US.

Cardboard is just thick paper.

I think if you read on in the Wikipedia article you would find that it supports my position.

I could photograph it but I'm not going to bother just to prove a point. I encourage anyone who wants to to check the facts for him- or herself.

I made a template with little diamond shapes, probably over 100, with thick Bristol board using an X-acto knife. I'm not sure I ever finished it, but it was a real pain in the neck. If I get around to it, I'll make a photo and post it sometime. It could not have been cut with a scissors.

I have also used Bristol board for decades, but not poster or illustration board. I was a child in the 1970s but anyway it's not the years that count but the hours. It's also beside the point, because a person either knows the definition of a term or not, irrespective of status, experience, or anything else.

I wasn't just talking about this particular application. The original poster asked about the term Bristol board.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Finston View Post
I could photograph it but I'm not going to bother just to prove a point.

lol and yet, I did.

Bristol Board is easily cut with scissors...you are talking about the wrong thing.

And its exactly because the OP asked about Bristol Board, that I want to correct your misinformation.

I don't want OP to think Bristol is thick, cardboard laminated board, that can't be easily cut.
As you state.

As Greg (modelperry) states in the second post in this thread "Bristol board, it's basically .25 mm cardstock."

You are wrong.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:19 AM

What I've written is neither "wrong" nor "misinformation". On the contrary.

I suggest to anyone who's interested to check the products listed here:

12 Treffer fur "bristolkarton" | online Kaufen - Kunstlershop gerstaecker.de

With this one: Clairefontaine Bristolkarton | online Kaufen - Kunstlershop gerstaecker.de
clearly labeled "Bristolkarton", there are a number of weights ("Grammaturen") listed, going up to these:

Grammatur
615 g/mē
Bestell-Nr. 08-13833

Auf Lager.
canson-bristolkarton.html
Grammatur
924 g/mē

Since a normal weight for drawing paper is 80g/m2, 924 g/m2 is plenty thick.

It is possible to disagree in a respectful and courteous manner. Since you have chosen not to do this, airdave, I will not be responding to any of your postings in the future, on this thread or any other.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Since a normal weight for drawing paper is 80g/m2 [...]
I have to revise this: 80g/m2 is normal weight printer paper. For comparison, I have a sketch pad with 115g/m2 paper and a pad of heavy cartridge (drawing) paper with 224g/m2. I have some lightweight charcoal paper that is considerably lighter than printer paper.

I made a couple of models with 170g/m2 printer paper, which is approaching cardstock. I now have a printer of my own and can print on paper up to 300g/m2, which is photo paper and reasonably thick. In addition, I have 250g/m2 because 300g/m2 is already pretty thick and stiff and that's not necessary for every application.

I have two or three grades of Bristol board, but I bought them a long time ago and have no record of their weights. I don't remember paying attention to this at the time. They are all heavier than the photo paper.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Auf Lager.
canson-bristolkarton.html
Grammatur
924 g/mē
"Auf Lager. canson-bristolkarton.html" got in there by mistake. Canson Bristolkarton is another product.
Google Adsense