PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 08-13-2022, 09:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Best marker sets

Hi All,

Relatively new to the card world. Looking for the best marker sets y’all recommend. What works well and not so well and why. White lines from paper cutting and bends are killing me. 😕
Google Adsense
Old 08-13-2022, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helisrule2 View Post
Looking for the best marker sets y’all recommend. What works well and not so well and why. White lines from paper cutting and bends are killing me. ��
I don't think you can avoid white lines from cutting and bending. The only thing I can think of is touching up the edges afterwards. However, the result might be worse than the white lines. This would have to be tested.

I have markers from the companies Edding and Staedtler and am happy with both. However, I don't use them for artwork (including modelling). Instead, I use drawing ink (tusche). By far the best brand of drawing ink I've ever used is Rohrer and Klingner. It is very concentrated and must be diluted. I use distilled water for this. I keep the ink in dropper bottles.

Markers are available in lots of different colors and I used to buy them but was always disappointed with the effect. The R & K drawing ink gives me the effect I always wanted from markers. I usually use (watercolor) brushes but sometimes use pens: Only nibs, because tusche will immediately clog and probably permanently ruin any kind of pen that needs to be filled!

Any kind of ink that needs to flow through something, whether it's the tube of a technical or fountain pen or a felt pad, as in a marker, cannot be as concentrated as tusche and the pigments used and the size of the pigment particles will be more limited. They therefore can never give you the same saturated effect.

Last edited by Laurence Finston; 08-13-2022 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
I use Tombow brush pens in a variety of colours and shades. They are expensive but will last for years, so, worth investing in.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
I find the cheap felt-tip sets a good starting place.

The Berol range are also good to use. The grey ones are great for most edges.

Tim
Old 08-14-2022, 04:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.19 MB
Hi like Cardist, I use Tonbow brush pens most of the time, again as Bernie stated, they are not cheap but do last for years. I tend to purchase them from Amazon as I do not have a good artists shop near me.
I also use Acrylic paints by Tamiya which once you have built up a small stock will do most colours with a bit of mixing in an old cap.
Google Adsense
Old 08-14-2022, 06:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Great topic and advice so far. I have fairly generic felt pens that are serviceable for my level of skill. Although as suggested I have to be careful with color selection and bleed out (depends on the stock of paper).

I also use Prismacolor fine line markers is my plastic and resin modeling.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I use Prang brand colored pencils. You can apply them dry or give them a quick dip in some water to help the color flow. You can also blend them a little on the cut edge to try to get a better color match.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I too use Markers for edge colouring.
I would use watercolour paint, but that requires an eye for colour mixing.

I am colourblind, so I use markers that say what colour they are
and I am crap at matching and mixing colours.
(I was a custom painter and mural artist for years! LOL)

Avoid alcohol based markers...they work well well, and the colours and coverage are excellent.
but they can bleed heavily and soak through cardstock easily.
You can make a big mess with them.

I like Berol Prismacolour the best.
My main set of Markers is those, from the late 1970s!!
Many of them still work fine and I use them regularly.
I have added to the set many times over the years.

I also like those Tombow Brush markers, the tapered brushes allow for real accuracy
...but you need to learn a light touch.
You can easily apply too much ink and cause bleeding.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
My favorite edge coloring instruments:

Caran d'ache Neocolor II water soluble wax crayons. (one source: Caran d'''Ache Neocolor II Aquarelle Artists''' Pastels and Sets | BLICK Art Materials ) Especially good for folded edges. Can be used like watercolors by dipping a brush in water and then swabbing color from the side of the crayon in order to get into tight places. The crayons can also be sharpened to a point. It was Alan Wheeler who put me on to these.

Faber-Castell Pitt Artist pens (Art & Graphic) or, as Bernie and Wivenhoe Boy recommend, Tombow ABT brush pens (Dual Brush Pen - Art + Craft). Unlike marker pens, these are not prone to bleeding into the adjacent areas. Excellent for edge coloring, not as good for coloring folded edges.

Expensive, but they last a long time.

Don
Old 08-14-2022, 02:11 PM

I've never colored edges, unless perhaps the edges of watercolor paper using watercolor, in which case "bleeding" would be desirable. However, one thing that might be worth testing would be gouache. In my experience, it tends to soak into the paper much less than watercolor or ink. While it can be diluted, it usually isn't used this way and it would sort of defeat the purpose of using it in the first place.

Gouache is basically watercolor with some additive to make it opaque. I believe chalk is used, but I'd have to look this up. There may not just be one substance that's used. It creates a matte surface and usually completely obscures the paper. That is, light is only reflected from the paint layer, not from the paper, as with watercolor or thinly applied ink.

Another advantage of gouache is that it is available in normed colors for repro and there are special primary colors for mixing, if you like mixing. As I've mentioned on another thread, I think it's better to buy than to mix for any color that's available.
Google Adsense