PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 05-23-2010, 12:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
A Couple of Tricks to Print On Heavy Cardstock!

Hi,

This is to let everyone in on a couple of ways that I print on heavy cardstock (110# Index, 125# Tag and 150# Tag).

The 110# Index and 125# are really close (110# = 198.9 g/m2 while the 125# Tag is 203.5 g/m2) and provide similar problems when printing thru the platten in most printers.

The Tag is more durable by far!

To print huge 24" x 36" sheets in my HP 450c plotter (360 dpi-1990s technology) requires the use of a steam iron. Iron the first 4" of the edge you are going to insert into the printer.

Imediately roll the sheet into 2-3 inch diameter tube (cardstock needs to be really hot). Wrap with rubber bands and let set for 15-20 minutes before removing the rubber bands. Longer than 45-minutes and the cardstock will be rolled to tight and will cause jamb problems.

For smaller sheets you just need to run you thumb and forefinger along the front edge into the printer. (See photo) Make it crease the cardstock about 1/4" from the front edge. This stops the cardstock from contacting and then jambing as it rolls around the platten.

I've tried to use the back feed on my printers = flat path, but there is no way to get the cardstock to feed right, either the top margin is 1" instead of 1/8" (set on my printer), or it doens't feed soon enough and the first parts are only half printed or not at all.

The newer printers seem to handle cardstock better. My newest printer is a wideformat HP 120c that handles 24" x 36" 125# tag with ease.

Hope this helps if you need to print on the heavy stuff!

Best regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
A Couple of Tricks to Print On Heavy Cardstock!-leading-edge-fold.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
I've not had problems with card feeding my HP, but it does "jamb" regularly. The problem is the curved paper path - paper stack in front, turns around a roller to the print head on top, then out the front. I usually end up pushing gently as the card sheet feeds until I can grip it as it comes out the top - then maintain a gentle pull until it finishes turning around the roller. I'm assuming the "jamb" indicates that the controlling rollers by the print head are either slipping or pulling too much power - indicating a problem.

Yogi (still looking for a straight paper path ...)
Old 06-05-2010, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Epson printers have a straighter paper path than HP printers and can feed very heavy card stock. The paper feeds from the back and has a curved path, rather than HPs front feed, 180 degree curved path.

Epson inks are supposed to have good longevity and they are water resistant. They contain pigments rather than just dyes.

I used to consider Epson's a disposable commodity because they used to be prone to getting clogged jets which meant replacing the printer every year. I think HP's jets are in the cartridge, while Epson's jets are in the printer so a clogged jet means the whole printer has to be junked.

My latest Epson, however, has lasted over 2 years which is a record.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
Epson printers have a straighter paper path than HP printers and can feed very heavy card stock. The paper feeds from the back and has a curved path, rather than HPs front feed, 180 degree curved path.

Epson inks are supposed to have good longevity and they are water resistant. They contain pigments rather than just dyes.

I used to consider Epson's a disposable commodity because they used to be prone to getting clogged jets which meant replacing the printer every year. I think HP's jets are in the cartridge, while Epson's jets are in the printer so a clogged jet means the whole printer has to be junked.

My latest Epson, however, has lasted over 2 years which is a record.
Thanks for the input John!

A friend has a business doing t-shirts and coffee mugs. He swears by the epsom. His HP and encad plotters couldn't handle what he does. I'm very impressed by the ink quailty and no fading like my HPs.

My next printer will be an epsom.

Mike
Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Epson ink's water resistance means on an off day when you get the paper really soggy with Elmers, it wont smear.
Its safe to over paint them with water colors. You have to watch out with some lacquer sprays, which made the colors run. I was p!&&ed-er-sad when that happened to me. Now I use light sprays for the first coat.
I almost wish my current Epson would die, that would give me an excuse to get the one that makes 19 inch prints. There are some models that would scale up real good.
Google Adsense
Old 08-11-2010, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi,
I've never had any problem putting card kit patterns on card of any thickness - except I don't put anything through my printer.
I get a photocopy of whatever patterns I want to transfer onto thicker card and I glue the photocopy or photocopies onto the card with PVA glue, which I spread over the card and the back of the photocopy with a wide paint brush, before laying the photocopy onto the card starting from one side and slowly laying the photocopy down and brushing it lightly with a material cloth to ensure a good join and to remove air bubbles and creases to the other side.
While the PVA is wet, you can lift off the photocopy and try again, this is particularly useful when joining two sheets together and to align the lines on the photocopies.
I frequently lay patterns on thin card sheet roughly 3 feet by 2 feet, using this process without difficulty, but of course, I have been doing this for years.
You don't need much PVA glue, about the same amount wet on both surfaces as you would find on the back of a postage stamp. Alternatively, you can spread PVA glue on the back of the photocopy and lay it onto the thicker card - just glueing the one side, however make sure the PVA coating covers the area of the paper you are to stick down.
Leave the glued up parts overnight to give the PVA glue plenty of time to dry out, before cutting.
Richard (BigBenn)
Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 AM

Hi BigBenn,

Have you tried using spray glue? Sometimes the PVA warps the cardstock.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 08-25-2010, 02:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Mike,
Nope - never heard of spray glue. Must be an American thing not an Aussie one.
I agree, PVA warps cardstock, so if you put the card on a flat surface under some heavy books, you will find the books flatten the card just fine and when glued in place, the structure of my models keeps it that way.
BigBenn
Old 08-25-2010, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Thanks for the tips, Mike!

Although my current printer has no trouble with fairly heavy sheets, it is very good to have the information filed away upstairs.

I am using an Epson Stylus C88+ which is my second Epson printer. The first one clogged because it was left idle for too long. My current printer has had some clogging problems but have so far been able to get the nozzles opened up again by following advice from the Internet.

My printer will handle 110# Bristol paper but it sometimes has trouble getting started. Giving the sheet some gentle pressure, just as it starts to feed, works.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
I question using tag. Tag has a very high sulfur content and will turn brittle and self distrust fairly quickly.
Google Adsense