PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 07-30-2010, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
what type of paint I should use for painting

Hi Papermodelers,
I am working on a jeep wrangler and want to know what type
of paint I should use for hand painting it as I dont have airbrush.

Thanks
Anurag
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2010, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
I use acrylics, seem to turn out okay.

Tim
Old 07-30-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Crowe View Post
I use acrylics, seem to turn out okay.

Tim
Hi Tim do acrylics give a glossy finish.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Most of the craft and art acrylics are a flat or semi-matt finish. Some of the craft acrylics are available in a gloss finish. Haven't ever tried them. There are hobby (model) acrylics made by Tamiya, Testors and Humbrol that are available in gloss. You can also get clear gloss finishes both in bottle and spray cans (at least here in the US). You shouldn't have too much problems finding the Tamiya paints since they are Japanese company.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Most of the craft and art acrylics are a flat or semi-matt finish. Some of the craft acrylics are available in a gloss finish. Haven't ever tried them. There are hobby (model) acrylics made by Tamiya, Testors and Humbrol that are available in gloss. You can also get clear gloss finishes both in bottle and spray cans (at least here in the US). You shouldn't have too much problems finding the Tamiya paints since they are Japanese company.
Thanks whulsey for replying but can I use automotive paints on models.
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Eternal Member

if you mix acrylic paint with pva glue it get a gloss finish never tried it do on a card model just on a painting the other thing i found when doing acrylic paintings if you paint with black underneath and then the colours on top of the black do seem to get a gloss must try that out on a card model do before i go saying use pva glue are the paint black underneath method.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
The Tamiya are designed for plastic models, but yes you can use automotive paints on models. Just need to seal the model first with a primer. On plastic, I use the Duplicolor or Krylon surfacer-primer. On paper I've used sanding sealer under the primer. You need something to help seal and fill the grain in the paper...or wood. Some have mentioned using the nitrocellulose dope developed for RC aircraft and tissue-balsa aircraft models. Haven't tried that myself.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 PM

Hi,
I build all of my card models much larger than the kits - by black & white photocopy enlargement. To paint my enlarged models and parts I use Chromacryl Acrylic paint which I buy in pots for around $10 each. The advantage of acrylic paint is that it is water based, goes on easily and dries quickly. I don't seal any of my models with a primer, never have, never will.
I don't try to mix paints to get a particular colour, if its not in the Chromacryl range
(usually available at Art & Craft shops), I just take the card kit model coloured parts I want the colour(s) for, down to a big paint supply shop and get them to match the colour with a scan on their computer and then the computer does the mix to my colour and I get it in a sample pot as a water based paint for a few bucks.
Nothing easier.
BigBenn
Old 08-01-2010, 09:12 AM

HI all I tried automotive paint on my paper models butthere are bubbles left on drying can anyone tell me any trick or tip for smooth glossy finish.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anurag View Post
HI all I tried automotive paint on my paper models butthere are bubbles left on drying can anyone tell me any trick or tip for smooth glossy finish.
You are either applying too much paint in one coat or there is something on the model that is reacting with the paint. More likely too much paint at once. Light coats, thats the ticket.
Google Adsense