PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 08-23-2010, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
CA Glue

New person here......
Is CA glue of any use for cardstock/paper modeling?
Sgt. Glick
Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I use thin CA to soak into the paper to make it stronger. Medium CA to cement parts in place after fixing them with white glue. The main problem with CA is that it will recolor parts and it is hard to keep it where it needs to go. I use teflon tubing stuck in the end of the glue bottle to apply it. Teflon tubing can be found at hobby stores.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:37 AM

ca glue

I use it for almost all of my modeling work . It makes the bild much faster and lets you sand and paint the model easly. but my work is mostly from scratch and in cardboard if you are making a paper model kit you are better of with white glue it dosn't bleed out and spoil the print like ca will. I learned this the hard way and got a wrecked kit the first time out.I just figuerd I would do the model as I did all of my stuff ,boy do I have a lot to learn about this part of the hobby.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 AM

This thread may be useful:

Using CA with card modeling

Mike
Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Some models benefit from having some metal wire in the build. CA glue helps fix paper to the metal. You first give the metal a light sanding to give it a tooth so the CA has something to grab.

CA is also good to stiffen parts like gear teeth in mechanical models and to help keep real thin parts from delaminating.
Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2010, 12:24 PM

I have use Zap A Gap CA glue to fix paper parts very often. It work quite well and was a surprise.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:50 PM

I use CA quite a bit. It does have it's weaknesses. I find the joints have zero flex and tend to be brittle. I don't really have the recolor issue, I would guess this is due to the type I use. I use the thick "gap filling" formula. It takes longer to set (great for positioning a part) and does not flow nearly as far into the paper grain.

I was having issues keeping CA for extended periods as stored at room temp, the glue will actually congeal. Also as many know, the neck tends to dry up and become clogged. I found a perfect solution to this and it requires NO work or special contraption........put it in the freezer:D! No kidding. Your neck won't clock and You will get to use the glue to the last drop.

I finally bought a tube of Alene's tacky glue and this is what I use for the heavy work. But I will probably always have many uses for CA in My modeling.