PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2010, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Dual layer hull skinning technique

Veteran shipbuilders may find this redundant... Among other things, foam fillers are the normal way to save a hull from sometimes ending up like crimson-coloured bamboo. Another available technique not involving foams is ribbed formers which I have used in my build on IJN Fuyuzuki. I have recently discovered another method I have not even imagined before, and that basically involves using an underlayer hull in support of the real one. Not sure if someone else already tried it, I'm only copying things here.

The process is this:
-Make the hull formers as normal, but photocopy the formers and skins before cutting them.
-Use another TWO sets of formers, and attach them to each side of the original ones. These formers needs to have edges trimmed away by one cardstock thickness as would be required soon
-Now reinforce the copied skin parts also onto cardstock, and with necessary trimming, attach them onto the hull so that they sit on top of the edges of the new formers, and maintaining the same level as the original ones. [At this step slight use of fillers might be appropriate in places]
-Finally skin the original hull skin parts which now sit on top of the reinforced underlayer and would not want to bend at all even if you command it to do so.

Of course this technique relies on the utmost trust for the designer of the hull that it will fit without breaking sweat - so don't try that on a kit from the 20th century...... But done properly and this technique yields equally impressive results as other ones, though still this adds much more work [oh, and weight] to the process, skinning a hull can never be easy...

Original thread by Dior1DD is here, but some admins decided only registered users could view the boards......
【已完工】1:200 ANSWER IJN Akitsushima 秋津洲号水上飞机母舰 - 舰船模型制作进行区(Construction Reports) - cardmodel.cn CM纸模网、中华纸模、中华纸模网、纸模型、纸模、纸模 网、Papermodel、Cardmodel、3Dcard - Powered by Discuz!

That's all
Google Adsense