PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
I promise I wont paint glue or otherwise disrepect your cutting matt. But what we with ours is our business. I don't remember anyone being appointed the tools police?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
No need to be nasty ya'll. I understood Wilfrieds post to mean that he wishes that when
someone posts a picture of a nice build, that they not use the in work/working surface
cutting mat as the base of the picture. It is fine to do whatever you wish with your cutting
mat, but at least use a clean one for pictures. I could be wrong, it has happened.

Stop and consider the international makeup of this forum, and realize not all things will translate exactly as they are meant.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
I use Chop & Chop flexible kitchen cutting boards which sell for about $3 each.

Since cost is not an obstacle, I use them for painting, gluing, punching and cutting.

If I were paying $50 for a fancy cutting mat, I would be more careful with it.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.45 GB
Send a message via Yahoo to Sidewinder81777
My cutting mat AND computer desk (and fingers) are covered with super glue dots lol.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
Stop and consider the international makeup of this forum, and realize not all things will translate exactly as they are meant.
Funny that we have that exact same problem and my wife and I are from the same country!
Google Adsense
Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Actually I think Wilfrieds post brings up a good point. Y'all are, of course, free to do as you wish but I have also thought that there were some really neat builds that could benefit from a better presentation than a cutting mat. Just an aesthetic opinion.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Hey, my presentation is crap anyways (bad camera and worse lighting) so I pretty much let the model stand for itself. It's a valid point, and I suspect a lot of people just aren't aesthetically sensitive in that way. But for myself, you'll be lucky if the mat is clear of debris, never mind paint and glue!

[email protected]
Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Sorry Wilfried ... lacking your photo skills and talents I just take the pictures where I work (play?). On the plus side, it does provide an automatic scale reference with the 1-inch squares, it keeps the glue off the table, and it provides a smooth working surface that I can easily scrape the glue off (use edge of steel ruler as a scraper).

If I was a better photographer ... or just not so lazy ...

Yogi (sometimes us amateurs just can't stop with the fingernails on a blackboard)
Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
My point is ... and I (did) have one

After a little more reflection (no pun intended).

Most of my pictures are "in progress." For these the work area is where I take the pictures and I do work on the cutting mat (sorry).

Sometimes the cutting mat killing all ...-parts-1.jpg

All the junk, sorry, tooling does distract from the subject so (if I actually think about it) I might do some cleanup and cropping to focus on the model.

Sometimes the cutting mat killing all ...-plank-fit-check.jpg

When I finish, I try to take a clean picture but I don't do enough photography to have a dedicated mini-studio (OK, and lack the skills/interest).

Sometimes the cutting mat killing all ...-herschel-plank.jpg

Best I do is a makeshift backdrop draped from a couch ... which takes a little bit of time to set up (OK, relocate the dogs, move some lamps, find/position the blanket/fabric, take some shots, put everything away, review the pictures, redo the whole thing because I screwed up or didn't notice something, etc.).

Sometimes the cutting mat killing all ...-stack-02.jpg

Which gives me all the more appreciation for the POTW selectees and those of you (and you know who you are) who seem to effortlessly produce professional looking photos for every one of your posts.

Yogi
Old 03-07-2011, 06:01 AM

Well - if he means one should respect his tools. Please respect them if you like. Or abuse them - or do what ever you like. And if he means, presenting finished models on a cutting mate is not a pleasure for the eye - you don't have to look at those photos. Ignore them. But this is the problem with many of Wilfried's more philosophically posts. What is the meaning behind them? Or is there one?

All my Models can be seen here.
Google Adsense