PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 709.4 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
The worst part of my cutting board is the hundreds of buried kinife tips
that have broken off my Hobby Knife blades!
I cannot see them...I cannot seem to retrieve any of them...
but I get scared everytime I run my hand across the mat, thinking I just might find one!
it only hurts for a minute.

http://dented-rick.deviantart.com/
Old 09-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Well - if he means one should respect his tools. Please respect them if you like. Or abuse them - or do what ever you like. And if he means, presenting finished models on a cutting mate is not a pleasure for the eye - you don't have to look at those photos. Ignore them. But this is the problem with many of Wilfried's more philosophically posts. What is the meaning behind them? Or is there one?
I have had the very distinct pleasure of getting to know Wilfried, we have corresponded much. I think that much was made out of nothing, and until AirDave mentioned the disappearing exactly blade tips, (I wondered where they went), I also thought it was just an observation.

I do remember cleaning my TV set after displaying a model next to it. Actually, it's been about 2 years since then, I probably should clean that TV again, (yup, same 36" Toshiba, 11 years old, and it's still too stupid to know it should die, picture looks great though, and it is on all day and night, the dog like to watch the animal channel when I leave the house, the Cats prefer to read).
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldixon View Post
My cutting mat gets cleaned off when it gets too much crap on it. Glue comes off with hot water and a scraper. I don't have the inclination to move off my mat every time I finish a cut. I have mats on my paint area, my assembly area and my cutting area. However my computer desk is coverd with super glue dots, and they won't come off. I think I will put a cutting mat on the computer desk.
Right. I don't want t omove it every time but i try to clean it every time when i'm finish on the end of the day(night)As good as posible.
And i by new on for only Euro 1.50
Where we talk about...?? Oh yea the placemats
Old 09-29-2011, 02:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I find that for some reason, whenever I move, my cutting mat gets left behind, forcing me to buy a new one. Having moved 4 times in the past 2 years, I think I am becoming the cutting mat industry's best customer
Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I was going to post this in my build thread but I guess it belongs here instead. This is actually one of my better mats, my trusty A3. It suffered the dreaded "left it in the sun" warping which was almost completely removed by way of a hot bath and a stack of books. It's not the best pic to show how trashed it is, but it's covered in paint and various glues... cutting and scoring can be interesting if I hit a lump of CA glue and it's definitely near the end of it's time, I just forget to buy a new one whenever I'm near the place I buy them from.

Sometimes the cutting mat killing all ...-thedesk.jpg

Back to the original topic... as much as I'd love to have a brand new shiny mat to work on and take pics of my builds, it's never going to happen due to my sloppy "fix that and clean it up later" build style, and I make no apologies for that.
Google Adsense
Old 10-02-2011, 02:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I'm meant to have a cutting mat? Probably not a bad idea but I get by with an old kitchen cutting board...
Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
almost forgot to mention the bit where I slipped a few weeks ago and my knife went straight through the couch I rest my work table on... one of the joys of using scalpel blades that rarely go blunt *!!*
Old 10-02-2011, 06:55 AM

I use paper foamcore for cutting,.. that way the blade cuts past the paper but also kinda burnishes the edges so that my paper bits dont have those raised edges,.. it probably eats through more blades but who cares I switch out my blades often and when I cut I make 2-3 cuts per line so i dont mash up the paper,..
Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.69 MB
I just ordered 3 new transparent mats (2) 8 1/2 x 11 and (1) 18 x 23 this morning from http://www.utrechtart.com/ art supplies. They have the best prices on just about all of the supplies I use. If you go there, here's a tip: create your account and sign up for their e-mails before you place an order...they'll give you a code for free shipping on your first order over $25.00 (US)! Check out their model making materials.