PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 07-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Most of mine end up full of BB's and then set on fire, eventually.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Ouch! I have a friend at work that wants to do the BB gun and lighter fluid thing.

Former?

Carl
Old 07-30-2008, 10:28 AM

oh wow... yeah I remember spending weeks building a plastic model of the Mayflower sailing ship. Completed it all, rigging... lifeboat...cloth sails... it was beeeaautiful.

Then I filled the hull with sand for ballast,(getting the ballast to sit right took a while) carried the ship out to the family pool, set it afire and gently pushed it out into the water.

Watched it burn to it's little plastic waterline.... the top was a molten, bubbling mass of plastic. And the smoke was so thick and black with floating bits of plastic debris I guess.

Way cool man... I was 15 at the time.

David

Edit: thinking back some more, I remember that I couldn't get it to float right till I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom, and hung some large, metal washers tied to wire from the keel.

Last edited by outersketcher; 07-30-2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: remembered more stuff
Old 07-30-2008, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Boy, Those were the days!
I have many fond childhood memories of me and my friends playing with armymen and blowing up many a plastic model with little ladyfinger firecrackers and then setting everything a blaze. We had loads of fun back then.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outersketcher View Post
oh wow... yeah I remember spending weeks building a plastic model of the Mayflower sailing ship. Completed it all, rigging... lifeboat...cloth sails... it was beeeaautiful.

Then I filled the hull with sand for ballast,(getting the ballast to sit right took a while) carried the ship out to the family pool, set it afire and gently pushed it out into the water.

Watched it burn to it's little plastic waterline.... the top was a molten, bubbling mass of plastic. And the smoke was so thick and black with floating bits of plastic debris I guess.

Way cool man... I was 15 at the time.

David

Edit: thinking back some more, I remember that I couldn't get it to float right till I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom, and hung some large, metal washers tied to wire from the keel.
LOL - I burned my eyebrows off setting fire to a fantastic plastic model of the Calypso stuffed with paper towels soaked in denatured alcohol. That thing went up like a road flare. Of course all of this took place in a metal tub filled with water on the floor of my tree fort - sometimes I marvel at the fact that I survived my youth.

Adam
Google Adsense
Old 08-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I remember one time I was working on a diorama and wanted to melt some plastic bits. Unfortunately I got a little carried away and burnt a big black patch into the ping pong table that doubled as my modelling workbench. My brilliant mind figured out the best thing to do was spill a whole bottle of testors paint over the table covering the stain. That way I got in trouble for spilling paint over the table which was a much lesser offense than playing with fire in the house...
Old 08-07-2008, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
How about dealing with the Nature? A couple of weeks ago, hurricane Dolly entered the continent via the Gulf of Mexico, and it didn't stop there... it went inside the middle of the continent and we had 24 hours of heavy rain in the area (Juarez-El Paso border). The museum where some of my models are was flooded. The victim of that was my Bf 109 from Modelik. It was pointed by my wife that it could be a great diorama subject.

Yes, I WILL definitively buy the kit again.

Last edited by milenio3; 08-07-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Guess I've always been heavily under the collecting bug influence (pack rat), never could understand doing that to a model, etc. My little brother and I had a few "discussions" about that when a few of mine were used for his pyrotechnics. Even then I would save all the parts to see if they could be recycled into another project.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Hi Gerardo,
however, to honor the fallen in combat!

Orazio
Old 10-04-2008, 06:47 AM

Kids are bad but cats are worse like Webdude has said they know how to destroy paper models, I heard a noise coming from my den one morning it was about 4 am and our male cat had some how gotten into the den that normally has a closed door on it whe nI got up to have a look here he was playing with a Chev Blitz 4x4 truck that I had just finished, well I can tell you it wasn't worth fixing and I'm now in the middle of building a new one. The cat is not allowed in my den anymore, oh yea he still lives I love him too much to do anything bad to him and after all he didn't know what he was doing was wrong.

Dingo
Google Adsense