PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
More ideas on laminating card

Here are a couple of ideas I worked out and find useful.

1. Always use full strength PVA. Thinned glue tends to make the card soft and to exaggerate the swelling of the one side ( which is why paper tends to bow as you apply adhesive.

2. Apply a reasonable layer of glue (thin enough to see through) but ensuring 100% coverage to both faces, place the two layers together, place the whole thing on a hard surface and use a piece of Dowel or the handle of you craft knife, depending on size and roll it firmly. This will squeeze out any excess glue and slight air bubbles and ensure 100% adhesion. Any tendency to curl when being rolled can be cancelled out by rolling from the back.

3. For pressing during drying I prefer to use two hard smooth surfaces and then add weight by whatever means on top.

4. .....and finally something I discovered entirely by accident by not paying attention.

If, while the glue is still wet, you roll over your laminated thin card, carefully, once, with the Knurled part of your craft knife handle, it will emboss a very nice small diamond pattern into the card to simulate deck plates or vent grilles.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
That last remark was valuable for me, thanks. Never thought of it but now I can see other possibilities aswell in terms of replicating different patterns to paper.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
in the woodworking world they veener both sides of a board to counteract the bowing effect. I do this with card sometimes to make sure I get a perfectly flat effect. Just laminate both sides with the same paper stock and they seem to balance out the bow.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
I use carpenters glue...wont dry clear so have to be carefull, but is a little thicker and won't warp parts as bad. i use two plexyglass panels and a small (10") piece of rail-road tie (verrrry heavy) to press till dry....Rich

Tags
deck plates, embossing, grilles, laminatng card