PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 10-13-2008, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Long paper tubing?

I'm thinking about paper tubing, and knowing that I can't go to any manufacturers with the request for 6 feet of tubing I'm wondering how I would go about making tubing.

I thought of attempting to acquire a whole bunch of the core rolls from wrapping paper, and cutting them down to the right diameters, but that just seems like far too much work.

Anyone have any tutorials or guides on how paper tubing can me made to specific OUTSIDE diameter dimensions? I'm looking at needing 3/4" OD and 1/2" OD tubing.

Thanks!
Google Adsense
Old 10-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Eternal Member

Cut 2 squares of cardboard cut a circle to the outside diameter you want in each , roll up the paper to a lesser diameter slip the cardboard over the roll let go the roll the torsion should spring the roll out to the diameter you have cut out.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:50 PM

That's a good idea. And, for the lenght, use the inside of wrapping paper or invest in a roll of butcher paper.
Lep
Old 10-14-2008, 12:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
First this is a lot of work when a wood dowel would most likely do the job.

Paper cores are made on a steel mandrel by applying several layers of paper in a spiral pattern, like a barber pole. The first layer is laid down so that the edges of the paper do not overlap. The next layer of paper is offset such that it covers the seem on the first layer. Glue is applied between this layer and the first layer. Layers are added to build up the thickness. A flat belt is wrapped around the takeoff end of the tube and angled to match the spiral pattern of the layers. When you watch the process the tube twists off the mandrel in a continuous tube and is cut to length on a flying saw. The belt twists the tube off the mandrel and also applies pressure to set the glue.

I would suggest that you try this with a PVC pipe for the mandrel and try applying the layers by hand. Butchers paper should work well just slit it down to workable widths.

Here is a video showing the process.
YouTube - paper tube winder video

Jim Nunn
Old 10-14-2008, 06:28 AM

Great ideas, and thanks for the video link, Jim!
Google Adsense
Old 10-14-2008, 10:13 AM

Lancer,
I just remembered that my grandson and I made model rocket motors a few years ago. We used paper packing tape. Wrap the mandrel with a spiral of tape glue side out, edges just touching. Then, glue side in, moistened slightly, build up any thickness you want, just make sure the tape covers each previous joint. We built up some tubes to 1/4 inch (6-7 mm) wall thickness.
Lep
Old 10-14-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepercan View Post
Lancer,
I just remembered that my grandson and I made model rocket motors a few years ago. We used paper packing tape. Wrap the mandrel with a spiral of tape glue side out, edges just touching. Then, glue side in, moistened slightly, build up any thickness you want, just make sure the tape covers each previous joint. We built up some tubes to 1/4 inch (6-7 mm) wall thickness.
Lep
You build motors? Wow... I think it is three kinds of neat that you do stuff like that with your grandson. I wish my granddad hadn't died when my mom was a little girl. I would have loved to have known him. You have a lucky grandson!