PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 02-19-2009, 05:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
I just discovered a Hobbico Circle Cutter at one of the local Hobby Shops, the price was $6.95, includes 6 blades and a pair of lead pencil points. A definite handy item for cutting out the circles required for this and that. The only drawback that I can see is that it won't go any smaller than a 3/8" radius.

As to tweezers, I have a host of them in sizes from ultra tiny to a set of 7 and 1/2" ones that are in various designs from self closers to ultra small pointed ones, flat clamping types and several hemostats in various sizes and styles. They are quite handy when gluing things up for pin point placement, making small changes in alignment and several other duties.

A good bet for places to get tools of various sorts is a Harbor Frieght Tool Store, thay have tons of things that are right up a modelers alley ranging from air brushes to manual tools of all types, punches, hobby knife sets, files, jewelers tools, magnifyers of all description at dirt cheap prices. If you aren't fortunate enough to have a store handy, they also do websales off their website as well.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Old 02-20-2009, 08:21 AM

Jay:

Harbour Freight is amazing! They have more stuff there than Carter has Little Pills!

One of the things I am looking for, and have been for quite a while, is a set of surgical probes. They're these neat little tools that have a handle with a wire coming out of the end of it. They come in several sizes and wire thickness-es. When I was building the DIRECT Jupiters, I wished I'd had something like them.

If anyone sees them online anywhere, let me know, willya?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
You guys are right, Harbor Freight is awesome! There's one just down the road from me. But, If they don't have what you are looking for, try Widget Supply. They are mail order, so there are shipping costs, but they have tons of hobby tools and alot of other neat stuff too.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
I love card modeling! I used to sew historic clothing, do historical reenacting, we have boys in cub scouts, and we home school two of our kids, so I have about 1/2 of the stuff you have pictures laying around do to other projects! My next "expense" will be a good knife set, my box cutter is a step up over my pocket knife, but still a bit too big at the point for some things.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 PM

Hi Guys,

Didn't think about it before, but since KC sent me a message asking, here is a link to the Hobbico site if any of you are interested in what they might have to offer. They also have self healing cutting mats, knives and other stuff.

www.hobbico.com

Mans' eternal search for a tool for the job is evidenced by archeologists digging up and identifying stone tools, proving that we all love our tools and can never truly have too many. :D

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Google Adsense
Old 02-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Eternal Member

I have to put in a plug for "MicroMark". Great products at reasonable prices. They have tiny tools for all kind of things. Exacto-type blades and handles (I like the wood carving handle the best because it is big enough to get a grip on, and it won't roll off the table like the (genuine) Exacto knife that sent me to the ER for two stiches in my leg). My wife and I both use their magnivisors in different magnifications. Great new website (micromark.com).

I've done business with them for years and never been disappointed with the quality or service.

Bob

Last edited by blueeyedbear; 02-20-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 02-21-2009, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I'll second the plug for "MicroMark". Still justifying to myself the need to have their photoetch kit, maybe when the tax refund check comes. One can never have enought toys...er, I mean tools.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Eternal Member

Equally you need almost nothing to start I have

a flat Morton scalpel handle
a large pair of scissors I can get my fingers in them
an assortment of metal and wooden knitting needles (junble sale)
an antique Victorian tool for punching thread holes in gloves with an ivory handle (just had to say that) makes a great score line
a straight piece of 15 amp wire for starting tight rolls
needle nose and flat tweezers
tube of UHU, PVA white glue, crazy glue
steel rule flat and a triangle steel rule for starting folds
needle nose and flat tweezers
packet of cigarette papers for gun barrels, rock hard if they are soaked in crazy glue

that covers the cardboard side of things

for ships rails

soldering iron
side cutters and old stanley knife for trimming ends
pliers
tin tray catches the flying debris from chopping the ends off railings

probably why I make such c**p models

Old 02-21-2009, 07:25 PM

Hi All,

Barry :D :D :D. sorry, but you are right about not needing a great lot to start into the cardmodel end of modeling. While all these devices and such that we are talking about do make things somewhat easier, they are all not necessary.

Since we are into plugging favorite places, I have to add Model Expo in there, great service and one of the places where I get my chain for anchor chains and such. They also have tools of all sorts and some pretty dandy if not expensive wooden models.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
You guys all have me outclassed. I just use Aleene's Quick-Dry Tacky Glue, toothpicks for applying the glue, a 15" steel ruler, an old hobby knife for scoring, an EXCEL knife for cuts, and a pair of Fiskar sewing scissors that are very short and pointy :D Occasionally I'l break out my wire cutter/plier combo tool for straightening paper clips and my CA glue for stubborn parts.
Google Adsense