PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 02-24-2013, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.53 MB
Here's an example:
Old 02-24-2013, 06:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Wow, that was quick! Perfect length video, actually watched it in under 5-minutes. Big problem with most videos, they take too much time loading.

Now I really want one! Need the 24" wide model though.

Thank you!!

Mike
Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
WOW, let me pick my mouth up off the ground...

that was amazing. blew my mind how quickly it cut the entire page.

any chance you showing us the cut out parts i would like to see the accuracy.

if its as good as it appears i think im gonna have to save some money up for this one...

thanks for the video.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 AM

That was running at 1/4 speed too. It goes a LOT faster.

It's worth noting that the auto-scan feature is part of the Cougar-PRO version, but there's a manual scan method on the regular Cougar model, which costs less. It involves aligning a laser point onto the corner registration marks.

The upside to the manual scan is that you get more page space. I print everything on Letter size, the auto eye needs a margin to move into. When I'm pushing the limits on space, I have had to lay down a strip of paper alongside my sheet to get it to complete the auto-scan.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:31 PM

I bought a Zing and found out how much time I spent in Adobe Illustrator trying to get my pattern created (I create all my masks by hand). Do you find that you spend alot of time on the computer rather than on the paper?

Also-the Zing is very "loose" in their instructions. I actually talked to one of the reps and they told me to keep experimenting to see what works for me and the paper I use. The problem was that I would run a pattern and it would cut great-but when I did the 2nd sheet (the same pattern) the blade would drag or not cut thru. It's now sitting under my desk now.......
Google Adsense
Old 07-13-2013, 05:33 PM

Ha! just went to see what the Black Cat looks like. Mine is the Ben Franklins-Scrap Book version. I am so jealous!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
I have been looking at these machines too. I am really curious to know how small and intricate the parts can be? for example, can a machine like this cut ship railings? I am experimenting with photo-etching to make tiny parts like instrument bezels in 1/72 scale.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a380 View Post
I have been looking at these machines too. I am really curious to know how small and intricate the parts can be? for example, can a machine like this cut ship railings? I am experimenting with photo-etching to make tiny parts like instrument bezels in 1/72 scale.
I cut parts down to about 2mm wide - you can cut anything, but the smaller it gets the trickier it is. If your mat is new and sticky, the paper holds better and your tiny parts will stay as you cut passes very close to another previous cut. With an older mat, your stickiness goes down and you have to watch out for a small part lifting off the paper. To get around this you could make more lightweight passes over the same spot instead of one cut all the way through.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrphil View Post
I bought a Zing and found out how much time I spent in Adobe Illustrator trying to get my pattern created (I create all my masks by hand). Do you find that you spend alot of time on the computer rather than on the paper?

Also-the Zing is very "loose" in their instructions. I actually talked to one of the reps and they told me to keep experimenting to see what works for me and the paper I use. The problem was that I would run a pattern and it would cut great-but when I did the 2nd sheet (the same pattern) the blade would drag or not cut thru. It's now sitting under my desk now.......
I do spend computer time, but it's way less than I would spend with a hobby knife. I set up my files with proper die lines and fold lines as you would professional packaging. I helps that I use illustrator for a living, so I don't waste any time and work dry efficiently.

It sounds like your machine had some issue...
Old 07-14-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
WOW, let me pick my mouth up off the ground...

that was amazing. blew my mind how quickly it cut the entire page.

any chance you showing us the cut out parts i would like to see the accuracy.

if its as good as it appears i think im gonna have to save some money up for this one...

thanks for the video.
I should do another video with the speed cranked up. It goes way way faster! I have found that accuracy does not suffer with speed.

They are working on a better program that is real accurate (better than the program it came with) and I can't wait for it to come out. It also improves the cut area by just requiring blank space around the marks.
Google Adsense