PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 07-28-2007, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Vellum?

I found cotton vellum paper at Marco's Papers today and thought I'd see if it had any possibilities. I tested a piece and found that it: prints okay, scores and folds okay, rolls okay and glues with Elmer's okay. It's a little translucent, a little stiff and has no grain. I plan to try to build something with and wondered if any of you all had tried it.
Google Adsense
Old 07-28-2007, 04:26 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Vellum

Hi Bill,

Cotton rag vellum is a specially treated paper and cotton linter product that is water and oil resistant. It retains its strength when wet making it ideal for rolling thin tubes and other spirally built-up cylindrical objects. It is a more difficult to glue due to its water and oil resistance. It does absorb super glue and will make strong but delicate ring like objects when so treated.

-Gil
Old 07-30-2007, 03:46 PM

Thanks, Gil. Vellum seems to have good dimensional stability, and glues well with plain old Elmer's. When printed with my Lexmark ink jet printer, it takes a while to dry.

I think I'll give it a try it for something simple although with little parts.

Have you used it for anything important?

Has anybody else used vellum?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:15 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Example

Bill,

The unpainted spoked wheel shown below uses wrapped vellum for the hub and rims.

-Gil

Old 08-05-2007, 02:07 PM

There are alot of paper specialty stores here in Seattle area,that carry a huge library of very specilaized patterns and textures.
I had picked up some vellum of different wights awhile back.
I wanted to make a really unique lamp for my nephew's dresser. The theme of course as aviation. (wise kids hehehe)
I found a couple planes i wanted to use,that were engineered simply but very cleanly,from Fiddler's Green.
I removed the cooring with a program,becasue as was stated, the ink can be a bit tricky in that volume to get to really ' stick'.
the smaller parts i left alone.
I assembled the planes with the vellum. The connecting tabs had to be cut down to smaller profiles so they werent as visible through the translucency of vellum.
The planes were assembled in a Chase formation (forced perspective..the 109 being scaled down considerably.
They were fed small leds into fuselage from mounting points.
These were controlled from little button to battery supply insdie main base to regular lamp stem.
The shade was a blown up image of battle over ardennes from a time life book printed on vellum.
Google Adsense
Old 08-05-2007, 02:25 PM

Sounds amazing! Any chance of a picture? BTW, welcome to the forum!
Old 08-05-2007, 07:32 PM

I can get a picture but it may be a month or two as it's down in Oregon, and I am in a bit of a change in life's direction, so will be moving to East of Mountains to Spokane.
I can however post a couplr pics of a mercury capsule i had built several years ago.
I'm not sure but I do believe it is one that Erik Groen had designed, which I shrunk down and modified to reperesent the break away tethers and retro pack.

Thank you for the welcome. Since I am new here I am still not sure where to post pics but I'll figure it out.
Thanks again. Cory