PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 05-01-2014, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Water holder for edge coloring

Dear List folks:
I discovered a cheap water holder for edge coloring with watercolor pencils it is the top to a pill bottle it makes sure that you do not dip the pencil to deep so that you do not soak the wood part. Pictures to follow. Pictures taken with 7" computer tablet. I am doing Rocketmantan's tardis laminated to 0.76mm Card Board, lots and lots of edge coloring (I will post a build log of this when done).
Hope this Helps Others,
MILES
Attached Thumbnails
Water holder for edge coloring-pill-bottle-top.jpg   Water holder for edge coloring-pill-bottle-top-2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-01-2014, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yep, that works pretty good.
I use a clear 30ml dose cup from the top of an over the counter liquid antacid bottle. Used to use one of those plastic containers for single serve coffee creamer but it was too small and kept getting mislaid.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice technique. Thanks for sharing. Excellent image.

Don
Old 05-01-2014, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 94.36 MB
Howdy Miles!
Thanks a lot for sharing this neat little trick!
- Tex
Old 05-01-2014, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Confession time ... I just use me tongue for the pencils Saves having to keep getting clean water.

I do also have a hypo needle full of clean water on hand, mainly for when I use tubed poster colours with a brush and palette, but I do mostly use the water colour pencils.

Johnny.
Google Adsense
Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear JohnM:
And What color is your tongue? On this Tardis project I have used 1/2 of the watercolor pencil.
Grin,
MILES
Old 05-02-2014, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.69 MB
Thanks for this great tip! I love paper modelers, we're all so environmentally aware, no matter where we are on this little blue planet!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear JohnM:
And What color is your tongue? On this Tardis project I have used 1/2 of the watercolor pencil.
Grin,
MILES
I mostly build in 1:300. Just a little edge colouring and the odd little touch up here and there. For something that used up 1/2 a pencil or more I'd resort to poster paint with a brush. Using tubed paint on a pallet, minimal water is required and the hypo gives good short measures.

Saying that, having built a lot of Bruno's aircraft lately, does anyone know where I can get a new grey water colour pencil, without having to buy a full set? And for the birds ... where can I get light brown. beige, and fawn water colour pencils? Again, for these I have to mix up my own colours on the pallet, but as so little is needed it wastes a lot of paint.

Johnny.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Johnny, here in the USA many of the hobby shops and artist supply shops have single watercolour pencils on display so you can purchase just what you need instead of having to buy a whole set. See if there are any of those types of shops in the vicinity of your mountain in Wales, or check with amazon.co.uk for them.

Prismacolor is one brand name. The cost varies greatly per pencil here in the States. Anywhere from $1.50 US to whatever price the shop thinks it can get away with.

I sometimes use my tongue also. Mainly when the water cup is empty and my telekinetic powers are off line and a walk to the water tap is not wanted. Gettin' lazy in my old age.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the pointer Doug.

I had a look through Amazon UK, but they all seemed to be in sets as usual. I did find a very useful 'Skin Tones' set though, and a link to Derwent where individual pencils were available ... at £1.57 each , but I suppose that's better than having to buy a set just to get a couple of colours.

Johnny.
Google Adsense