PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post

Try this...put a puddle of water on your Kitchen counter top.
Now take a single Paper Towel sheet.
Touch the tip...of the corner...of the towel sheet...gently to the puddle of water.
see how it "wicks" up the water into the towel?

Thats what we want to happen with some CA Glue.
OMG DAVE!!!!!
Don't say that!
Next thing were going to have parts glued onto the kitchen counter!
Old 03-13-2014, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Funny and true.

I understand his frustration but there has been about as much exlpanation as could be helpful.
Dave has given the most and clearest explanations of all.

Again, different people, slightly different ways of doing it. In unfamiliar territory, even with help and explanations, there's still trial and erro to figure it out.

I used super glue extensively on my Demsoielle and Dh2 builds, but even then, I'm learning a lot from this thread. I've never done the "wick" thing, I've always coated the part. I'll have to try the other method on some smaller pieces.

Lastly though, I wouldn't invest in fancy nail brushes, I'd just buy a big bag of cheapies that can be discarded after use.
Joe
Old 03-13-2014, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Its funny, because I have had the same response with making Clear Canopies.
Honestly, I have become so tired of the repeated responses
detailing basically the same method of how to 'pull" a plastic canopy
and how easy it seems to be for most.

And yet, for the life of me, I cannot get it done.

I would love a hands-on tutorial, because I am obviously not getting it.

Thats part of why I am being so understanding with this question.
I realize what seems so obvious and simple to most
can sometimes be lost in translation for a few.

lol
don't glue anything to the kitchen counter!!! lol

Those six glues that Evil listed all appear to be normal, thin CA glues to me...?
Aren't they?
I didn't think the thin glue issue was a concern...but maybe that is one of the problems?

What I got, from all the talk of things glued together was the image of an overuse of glue.

I love Kevin's idea to glue the part on the sheet, before cutting it out.
Brilliant.

Except...for when you are applying glue to stiffen and make rigid a part with shape
and folds. Which is usually why I am applying CA glue like this.

For example, the periscope Guards on the turret of my Centurion Tank.
the ones around the hatch weren't too bad.
They are short and properly supported.
but the larger one up front was kind of flimsy and didn't stand up well.
I cut out inner and outer strips...scored them and then folded them...glued them
together...re-folded them into the correct shape...and then touched them with a drop
of glue inside each corner, to lock the shape into the part.

I don't want glue on the outside...I just want to make the part a little stiffer and make
it hold its shape. A little drop of CA glue here and there will do it.
But thats all it is...a drop or two, here and there.

I rarely coat an entire part...but I have.

See the hinge plates on the Hatch?
They are each made from two printed parts sandwiched together over about 6 layers of card.
Then I wrapped the edge with a thin strip of printed paper.
But before I applied the edge strip, I applied some CA glue against the edges of the layered card.
It wicks through the layers.
Just to make sure the part was solid and strong, and would not delaminate.
But not enough glue to soak through the outer layers.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.59 MB
@jagolden:
Well, apparently these explanations have been good enough for the people giving them, but are not sufficient for the person who is supposed to be receiving them. You can explain something all day long to someone who knows what you're talking about, but it comes out as insufficient to someone who doesn't know anything about what you're explaining.

It's like walking into a library for information. That gigantic book on the ornate wooden stand has the answers to every single question that can ever be asked. But it is written in Aramaic and Latin. The people who wrote it presumed that everyone would speak Aramaic and Latin. So no, there hasn't been enough explanation. If I don't get it, or I don't get the same results everyone else gets, then some specific piece of important information has been left out. Not everyone knows what you all know. You can't expect people to share your knowledge base and experience.

@a380:
The reason I didn't list "insta-cure" is because I don't have it, and can't find it in Wal-Mart, Roses, Lowes, Home Depot, 84 Lumber, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, JoAnne's or Fontina's Crafts. I also think you're pretty condescending, and were unnecessarily snotty and abusive. I didn't appreciate it, because I don't like being bullied. Sorry bub, but I don't think your rant was anything other than you going out of your way to be a bully. You don't get a free pass from me. So, you go into the block list with all the other bullies, like airdave. Hope you guys have fun in there all alone.

@KCStephens: Laughing at a bully is condoning that behavior. That makes you a bully too. You go in the block list with the other bullies. It wasn't funny, it wasn't helpful, and it certainly wasn't adult behavior. Anyone who makes excuses for bullies, who minimizes their behavior, or who doesn't put an immediate stop to it is a bully themselves. Or worse, an enabler.

I can't believe the amount of "you really must be stupid" subtext and undertone here. I asked a simple question, I got a bunch of replies that either didn't make sense, didn't work, or I didn't follow, and then I end up getting attacked by all the insiders. There's a whole lot of groupthink, deindividuation, and co-conformity going on here, and I won't be victimized by it.

I'm done here. Go ahead and pile on, I won't be reading it.

I'm pretty damned offended by the behavior to which I've been subjected.

This isn't a third-grade schoolyard.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:08 PM

Sorry you feel mistreated. I think the people here have honestly tried to give good advice, despite being taken to task starting with post #4.

I urge you to persevere with this. It will come.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
are you kidding me?
LOL
after all the legitimate help here...and this is your attitude.

well, if i could type a big letter F and a big letter U... you would deserve it.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:15 PM

"I can explain it to ya, but I can't understand it for ya."
Old 03-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
As I said before, I'm not the most experienced with using CA, but I'll go step-by-step on what I did.

I was working on RocketmanTan's TARDIS, and I was reinforcing the hinges and the handle that I added (pics here).

I used Loctite Super Glue, like this:

I held the part with tweezers in such a way that the edges of the paper that I wanted to apply the CA to were accessible.

I put a drop or two of CA onto another sheet of paper on my desk, making a puddle.

I dipped a long straight pin into the CA, lifting a smaller drop out of the puddle.

I touched the drop on the pin to the edge of the part. (I'm pretty sure the pin touched the paper, too, but this is neither necessary nor to be avoided. The glue shouldn't dry so quickly that the pin gets stuck.)

The glue flowed onto the part by its own, for the most part, but I used the pin to spread it around as needed.

I waited a few minutes for it to dry, then sanded off any CA that hadn't soaked in using an emery board (disposable nail file).

Then I continued assembling the model as normal.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
are you kidding me?
LOL
after all the legitimate help here...and this is your attitude.

well, if i could type a big letter F and a big letter U... you would deserve it.
Pretty sure his reply wasn't aimed at you - of all the responses, yours seemed the most positive and well-intended.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:27 PM

It just occurred to me - is it possible that the paper he's using isn't as absorbent and so isn't accepting the CA? I know for sure I've never seen it soak in the way you (Dave) showed... but I chalked it up to me using cover stock instead of card stock.
Google Adsense