PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-04-2007, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Smokin Models
didnt know where to put this

As i am fairly new to the paper modeling thing. It seems cool, What kind of paper do you use. Regular Printer paper seems rather flimsy?

Thanks for your help

Ben
Google Adsense
Old 08-04-2007, 09:31 AM

Depending on what I'm building, I use card stock (available at Office Depot etc). Usually I use 110 lb, but 67 lb is available to. For items that will be laminated to thicker stock (ie frames and formers), I print them on regular paper then laminate them to stock.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:32 AM

I personally have been using 110# card stock that I got at Office Depot. It's not the thivkest I've ever used, not the thinnest. I have some 67# on standby (which I keep telling myself I should use on rounded stuff)
Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Interesting. I use the 65# Wausau Bright White card stock from Staples. It seems pretty robust to me. If I am laminating cardstock for doubled pieces I always use 100# Bristol from an art store. It is more expensive but I like the way it cuts better. Plus a doubled piece with the frame paper from a kit glued on comes out to be just under 1mm which seems to work best for things like Halinski, GPM, etc.

Carl
Old 08-04-2007, 05:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Smokin Models
thanks for the responses everyone
Google Adsense
Old 08-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I am straight on with Carl. I love the Wausau!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Eternal Member

Card stock considerations

Don't be misled by the paper "weights" used in the U.S. A 65 lb "card stock" is actually heavier than a 95 lb "index stock." That's because the weights are calculated on sheets of different sizes. The weight of index stock is based on 500 sheets of paper in index "basis" size (25.5" by 30.5"). "Card" stock is based on the weight of smaller sheets -- 500 sheets of 20" by 26" paper. By the time these sheets are cut down to letter size (8.5" by 11"), the card stock comes out heavier (and often thicker) than the index stock.

Look carefully at the packaging, and you'll see that what we call "card stock" is actually index, bristol, card, cover, bond, etc., paper with very different "basis weights." Many U.S. manufacturers are now including the grams per square meter weight used in the rest of the world (g/m^2), which gives more of an "apples to apples" comparison.

In my experience, what counts most in card modeling is the thickness, color, surface finish, and lamination properties (tendency to split into layers when rolled). Basis weight doesn't help a lot.

For more info on paper metrics, try Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_density or a guide to cardstock (including stock used by various card model publishers) at http://www.geoghegan.us/cardstock.htm

www.geoghegan.us
Current build: GPM Halberstadt DII