PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

View Poll Results: Knife Survey How do you like to change blades?
Blade tightened at the barrel (Traditional X-acto style) 44 41.90%
Blade tightened at the butt end (Fiskars - some X-acto) 29 27.62%
Something different 16 15.24%
No opinion 16 15.24%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2009, 08:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
I have two xacto x2000 models that I use 90 percent of the time. The rubber grips on both of these have become worn and loose, because of this it's difficult to keep the blades securely tightened up. I also have three other plain 'ol strait shaft xacto handles that I use along with some home made chisel blades of various widths. On these, I have applied rubber slip-on pencil grips. Lastly, I have a stainless steel Olfa "clicker type" knife with snap off blades. I use this one for cutting thru heavy formers and other laminated parts. I have been thinking of picking up a new xacto style handle that tightens up in the back, but right now I just can't bring myself to spending any more money on something that I really don't need.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
As I have read thru the replies, I thought of how many times I have bought what I thought was the perfect knife. I agree Excel #22-611 100pcs. #11 blades are the way to go, but the knife is as I have found after my search a item that suites your taste. Here is a list of the knifes that now are apart of the collection listed in the order I use the most: 1st Olfa heavy composite barrel, rubber grip, brass ferrell, steel blade holder w/olfa blades, this knife has a good feel that rides in the hand without wanting to lift or drift from your line of cut, is easy to control and the blades, you get 5ea f/$4.99, while they tend to be expensive, I have cut out a complete set of laminated formers with 1 blade and not break the tip. I have two of these, I keep a new olfa blade in one and a Exel #11 in the other, I use these 2 the most. For the really delicate stuff: a scalpel w/surgical blades #11s, I also have a surgical micro blade handle w/blades, a very expensive combo, but well worth after you use for the 1st time and see just how easy it is to as I have read, PE w/paper. I also have the X-acto 2000 to include one that the rubber is worn out from so much use. I use a Stanley Quick-point f/cardboard, a Staedtler art knife, a Friskers and a Leathermans micra small knife blade for wood work. And finally the Amita Multi-Tool, of which is tauted as the last knife you will ever buy! This handle doubles as a knife, a saw, and a small hand held vise, is made of composite material and brass, but I must admit is very heavy and tiring to use, hard to control and is not worth the $40.00 price tag! Now that we got thru that what about scissors? Just kiddin! Don't want to go there. As I have stated before, I am always buying tools to find that next one that makes the task easier if there is such a creature. I have to admit, I am a tool fanatic. But to answer the question, the Olfa is by far my favorite.Rick
Old 04-06-2009, 06:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Same knife shown in B-Manic's (the other Douglas) first post for the same reasons. I like the cushioning and the feel of the handle. It doesn't roll around either.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:59 AM

As usual, I get to be unusual. :p

I use the x-acto #2 handle with the x-acto #24 blade. The handle is twice the size of the #1 (standard handle) and the blade is wider with much less taper. The blades last longer and have never chipped the tip.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
I've been using an Olfa snap off utility knife, and more lately, some no-name one.
I tried an x-acto (brand name as far as I know) but it was really bad. It was the standard metal one, and the blade would come loose and it wasn't even sharp. It was also physically weak.
I've been considering getting one of the good knives you guys have, but haven't been looking forward to spending money when my experiment with the x-acto was just so utterly useless.
I end up using scissors for most things.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 AM

I use X-Acto #1 knife and #11 blade. I don't like #2 knife it is to large for me to hold but it is good for cutting card board. I only have #1 now anyway. I had Olfa knife and cutter before and did not like them and their blades.

I found package of Model Master black color #11 blades that are very hard and sharp. But I buy X Acto since I can get them easy at Wal Mart. I used to have Polish #11 blades that were very good.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Eternal Member

Swan Morton flat scalpel #11 blades snap off Stanley knife

Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
No one has mentioned the Olfa craft knife because it is not well known in our circles. It is far superior to anything currently available for a few important reasons:

1. The handle is high-impact plastic and the knurl is plated brass which puts all the weight at the fingertips where it is needed.
2. Olfa blades, similar to the X-Acto #11 are indeed superior to Excel, X-Acto, et al. The reason is that the Olfa blades are made from hardened and precision-ground high-carbon tool steel while everything else is made from a medium grade carbon steel.
3. Olfa blades will outlast any competitor by a factor of three.
4. Though more expensive, they offer the cutting precision of surgical blades and the strength of the more common craft blade.

Olfa makes a number of other craft tools suitable to our hobby such as a circle cutter and scribes.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:44 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Do you have a link to the Olfa craft knife?
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense