PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 04-30-2015, 09:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by umtutsut View Post
Gang,

I'm having a seriously difficult time finding silver metallic paper that will work with my Canon printer. Appealing to the group for ideas.

-- The Red River bright shiny metallic is long gone, but has anyone found a workable substitute?

-- My favorite silver metallic paper came from a place called Inkjet Station (Fine Art Photo Paper Inkjet Canvas Giclee and Photography Epson Stylus, Canon, HP Printer Paper and icc profiles), but they seem to have gone paws up. No answer to e-mails or phone messages.

The silver papers I've bought since -- the two-sided kind with a bit of texture to it -- don't work with my printer. Everything comes out extremely faded. Again, any recommendations for replacement silver metallic paper? Is there some configuring I have to do on the printer (Canon PIXMA MP250)?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanx!

Les (The Voice of Authority -- VoiceofAuthority.net - The Voice Stylings of Les Dorr, Jr.)
Yes/No!

Found something very interesting. Here is the link: Mirror effect wallpaper wall paper silver reflective wallpaper stickers pvc stickers furniture film wallpaper gold silver-inWallpapers from Home & Garden on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I bought a roll. $34 and free shipping from China.

I also bought a product called INKAID. InkAid is like Digital grounds but nearly half the cost. Problem was when I bought it, it couldn't be shipped due to cold temps here in Alaska (anything below freezing ruins it). The company contacted me by phone and email through Feb-Mar. In April temps were finally above freezing, it got here last Monday.

The Silver Mirror Wallpaper is self adhesive. A roll is 24.02" wide by 32ft long. $34 is very reasonable! Remember Red River as being very expensive + shipping.

Looks just like shiny chrome!

Grabbed a sheet of Index 110lb [199gsm] cardstock and peeled the backing from the wall paper and attached it to the cardstock.

Worked great!

Then tried to print on it direct. (before the Inkaid shipped). At first my printer kept spitting the sheet out, it uses a light to find the edge. The mirror was too shiny. Finally cut about 1/4" [6.2mm] from the top of the cardstock and removed the shiny wallpaper. Printer was able to find the edge and printed on the wallpaper side.

Ink was blotchy, and in puddles, after 2-months it still smears to touch it.

Here is a photo:
Desperately Seeking Silver (metallic paper, that is)-silver-mirror-wall-paper.jpg

Notice the ink colors don't look so happy?!

Here is a photo with the InkAid Quart jar:
Desperately Seeking Silver (metallic paper, that is)-silver-mirror-wall-paper2.jpg

Notice how shiny the wall paper is, no flash needed!

I have not tried the Inkaid yet. Been too busy this week after day job, drawing another 4-plex set of drawings. I will try to make time soon to see how the InkAid works with this material. Have a monster deadline to get the 4-plex drawings completed!

I will post photos of my results once the inkaid is printed on.

Always wanted a shiny F104 Stomprocket....I think I finally have a solution! Time will tell.

Gluing might be another issue. Going to try different glues-Zip Dry will be my first choice. If it doesn't work, super glue will be next. Guessing PVA won't work very well...

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 04-30-2015 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Gluing?????
Old 05-01-2015, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/469563-post14.htm

Not quite as silvery, but I think you (UMTUTSUT) are from nearby, so here is a solution. It is posterboard from Joanne's that can be cut to fit (pay attention to grain).

I know you started asking in January, here is hoping your schedule is somewhat like mine (I like to think of it as methodical).

Last edited by rickstef; 05-01-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
In artshops you can buy Chromolux paper, which is on one side coated with glossy paint, while the backside is normal paper. You can get all sorts of glossy colours, and also aluminium, around 200gsm in weight. I'm not sure if you can get this in the US, however. You cannot print with inkjet printers, but you can print your parts on the backside, which is normal paper. I use it a lot, see the recent threads on the DC-2 and DC-7C
Old 05-01-2015, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by aansorge View Post
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/469563-post14.htm

Not quite as silvery, but I think you (UMTUTSUT) are from nearby, so here is a solution. It is posterboard from Joanne's that can be cut to fit (pay attention to grain).

I know you started asking in January, here is hoping your schedule is somewhat like mine (I like to think of it as methodical).
Ack! Phht! "Webpage not available." Does the stuff at JoAnn's have a name?

Les (The Voice of Authority -- VoiceofAuthority.net - The Voice Stylings of Les Dorr, Jr.)

Last edited by rickstef; 05-01-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:59 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
I fixed the link, try again
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 05-01-2015, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Moo Cho Thanx! I'll check it out.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:31 PM

Here is what I had posted:

It has taken two years, but I think I remember the metallic paper I used for the B-17 in silver. It is posterboard I bought from Joanne's (a fabric and crafts store here in the DC area). It must be cut down to 11 x 17. The label on the paper is Two Cool colors, it is silver on one side, gold on the reverse. The UPC code is 071064243160. Printing on a color laser printer seems to make the finished product more glossy.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
If you print with an inkjet printer the ink will soak into the paper. Printing on anything but white paper will always alter the way the final colors look, most likely by dulling them. You just have to accept that or see if there is a way to brighten the prints through the printer properties.

Here is a model I printed on some of that stuff from paper-papers.com. I think it was on the Crystal 120gsm because I was trying to get a metallic sheen without altering the colors too much.

Not a perfect reproduction, but not bad. You can really see the dulling in the red on the tail.
Try this stuff for awesome colors and a metallic look, yes white but with a slight chrome layer that gives the ink a really cool look.

Simply Elegant Metallic Chrome Glossy Inkjet Paper

I am getting ready to retire, plan to purchase a 24"x100' roll for future models. It really adds depth to the ink, creating an awesome look.

Some photos of the paper and another option as well metallic pearl:
Index 110lb
Desperately Seeking Silver (metallic paper, that is)-110-lb-cardstock.jpg

Gloss Chrome-great stuff
Desperately Seeking Silver (metallic paper, that is)-metallic-chrome-gloss.jpg

Metallic Pearl
Desperately Seeking Silver (metallic paper, that is)-metallic-pearl.jpg

NOTE:
If you click through them real quick you can see the Metallic Chrome is a much brighter looking print, the Pearl is between the Chrome and cardstock, the cardstock is noticeably darker.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 07-16-2022 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Note:
Old 12-27-2023, 01:04 PM

Since this thread, Michael's has offered a silver paper in their Recollections papers. I bought some, but have yet to try printing on it. I have cut it with the laser, and am very pleased.

And while not a silver paper, here is a new marker from Amazon that is pretty shiny. The hub on the trial came out shinier than the blades for some reason.

Amazon.com
Attached Thumbnails
Desperately Seeking Silver (metallic paper, that is)-20231227_133731_resized.jpg