PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-22-2015, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
How to weather paper models

Hi Guys,

So I have managed to get hold of a 'Modelik GLS30' set, and will start the modeling in a day or two. What I have been doing all this while is searching for how other people have made the model, and trying to get a step by step photo set for reference.

I got the photo set from a few searches and came across this finished model (photo attached). I see that it has been weathered to give a more realistic look (which in my opinion has been overdone, but I would like the same at around 50% intensity in my model).

I searched a lot on the internet and couldn't come across any tutorial on how to weather/patina/rust paper models. I was wondering if you guys could help me with a few techniques on this.

Note : I am a beginner and this is only my second model. You might feel that I am making things complicated and might mess up the model all together, but in any case, I still do want to know the techniques.

Thanks a lot guys.

Meanwhile, I am into wildlife photography for 7 years now, and showcase a few photos on my website www dot jungleraaj dot com (I cant post the link yet) A brief search on the forum made me realise that there are absolutely no Indian Locomotive models here, so I am looking forward to add locomotive and railway photos into the website as well, so that we can figure out a model for them as well.
Attached Thumbnails
How to weather paper models-dsc07126.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-22-2015, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Weathered a few card models before. I generally do one of the following;

On bare card models (no varnish layer) stick to dry brushing. can be useful to tone colours down a bit.

On painted and varnished card models. You can start having fun with washes.

Hope this helps

Tim
Old 08-22-2015, 12:22 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Pastels is a good weathering medium for paper. Especially effective for areas of dust. Orange/sienna pastels can be used for rust streaks.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
What kind of pastels? Is there a video tutorial somewhere?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:55 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Pastel chalks. Be careful, the artist was ones will not work.

I ground them against sandpaper to make my dust, then brush them
on to the model. Dark gray into shadowy corners, lighter colors on high
spots, etc.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 08-30-2021, 01:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Maybe this technique was described in some thread but if so, I haven't noticed it. I found it especially useful.
I tried out a tip regarding the weathering of the wooden planks or doors, found on some railroad modelling forum. I found it perfectly adaptable to metal sheet surfaces or plaster. It creates an illusion of few layers of old paint:
- paint the first layer with tempera or acrylic paint (imiting the parent material - wood, gunmetal, rust etc.) and let in dry;
- paint the second layer with an oil paint of a different colour (imiting the primer or the previous final coating) and wait until the surface is full dry (but the whole layer is still not fully hardened). Then stick the strip of the scotch tape, press it to the surface in few points only (irregularity is the key to success) and remove quickly. It requires some tries to determine the best scotch tape and the best timing, which is crucial. The significant areas of the upper layer of the paint will be removed with the tape;
- repeat, but this time don't wait as long as before and cover more areas with a scotch. The sooner you will do it, the bigger part of the fresh paint you will remove;
- repeat if required until you find the result satisfying.

* At ever stage you can scratch the wet paint with a needle point or a knife, or make some dents in the surface with the back side of a knife. Few additional streaks of dirt or rust and smudges of soot or lampblack look great too, especially on the architectural objects models.
* It requires at least 160-180 g/sqm thick paper to avoid uncontrolled distortion.
Attached Thumbnails
How to weather paper models-zdj-cie-1079.jpg   How to weather paper models-zdj-cie-0430.jpg   How to weather paper models-wp_20181113_23_26_25_pro.jpg   How to weather paper models-wp_20181113_23_07_07_pro.jpg  

Last edited by Viator; 08-30-2021 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 48.92 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
Hello jhaparth2006.
Two videos here you are. It can be like a general approach to your problem. There are some books about this technik. Unfortunately I know only Russian language books. You can widen your search if you take a look at plastic models.
Как нанести следы эксплуатации на модель [1] - YouTube
Окончание работы [2] - YouTube
Good luck!
Old 08-30-2021, 04:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 48.92 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
Hello jhaparth2006.
Two videos here you are. It can be like a general approach to your problem. There are some books about this technik. Unfortunately I know only Russian language books. You can widen your search if you take a look at plastic models.
Как нанести следы эксплуатации на модель [1] - YouTube
Окончание работы [2] - YouTube
Good luck!
Old 08-30-2021, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Very interesting personal site, Dane! Твой сайт очень интересен!
Old 08-30-2021, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
First consider using Watercolor paint. The Pan type paint (little square blocks) tends to be transparent and best suited for weathering or shading a paper model. Dry brushing has to be done very carefully as even the smallest amount of paint will soak into the paper. if the color is too dark you can dry brush with water to feather the edges and lighten the color.

This model LeFH-18/40 was printed by Darf model. I have only on complaint about the kit the color was a little on the yellow side and it was very consistently the same. the model was extensively dry brushed to darken the underside of the parts and also to give it a mottled finish.

Jim Nunn