Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 06-24-2009, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.01 GB
For the overly enthusiastic:

Di-Acro Hand Operated Slip Rollers, Model 12, Model 24

:-)
Old 06-24-2009, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.01 GB
For the even more enthusiastic, here's a 24 inch Di-Acro slip roll converted to 3 phase 240V drive (they're supposed to be cranked by hand). The company couldn't understand why I was opposed to making this conversion; why I insisted on a greatly reduced RPM; why I put electrical interlocks on the guard; why it needed a guard in the first place; etc. ad nauseum. I was way ahead of my employers in terms of safety-consciousness. <G>
Attached Thumbnails
a new way of curving card stock parts-img_0160a.jpg  
Old 06-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Whose up to miniaturize an English wheel next?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev0 View Post
What would the result be if one of the rods were smaller in diameter?

you can make a smaller diameter.

I'll show another technique for rolling when I post the pics of my tabletop roll.

All the techniques described thus far are excellent.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 72.31 MB
Important Note:!!!!

Aluminum, oxidizes over time and unlike say oxidation on Brass,
Aluminum Oxide rubs off and gets on things.
So I suggest rather then aluminum cylinder/tubes you use brass tubing..
over time the brass will oxidize too but it will not rub off on your paper...

I keep mutilple brass tubes in my kit for this purpose, and they store inside each other like a telescope...
Matt Sparks
Google Adsense
Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
thanks for the info, I'll get some brass tubes as soon as I can
Old 06-24-2009, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
OK, I'll toot my own here
Old 06-24-2009, 11:09 PM

Shop made Slip Roll

When I was teaching a machining class in high school several years ago, I gave this as a design/build project to a couple of my sharp students. They developed the plans and did the machining based on some overall dimensions I gave to them.

My use for it was threefold: rolling thin sheet metal to obtain a curve, rolling wire for the same reason, and using it as a rolling press to thin sheet metal.

Sheet lead is a very useful material in modeling despite its toxicity. You just have to keep your hands clean and refrain from picking your nose or sticking your contaminated fingers down your mouth. Many modelers use thin sheet lead to simulate straps, belts, and the like. It's a much easier material to use than paper or card. With this roller I can take lead .030" thick and progressively roll it to a .005" or even less.

If any of you want some, let me know. I have 3' long rolls of the stuff that will cost you $1 plus postage. I'm not trying to send my kid to college; it's just something I do as a small service.

This roll is made from a number of materials: aluminum and delrin (black material) for the frame, steel and aluminum rollers, and commercially purchased gears. The white handle is another industrial plastic, UHMW. All of this stuff was just off-cuts from other projects.

I can reposition the rollers to change the device from a slip roll to a rolling press. The knobs on top allow one to adjust for thickness and apply pressure. I don't have any plans, but if there are enough of you interested, I could easily reverse engineer the device and give you some basic working dimensions that you would have to modify based on the rollers and gears you can find.

As I indicated in an earlier reply, most of what you need can be obtained from an old printer or typewriter. The frame can be made from plexiglass or plywood, materials that are easily workable without special equipment.

If any of you actually get to the point where you are making your own slip roll, let me know and I'll help you out with some of the finer points on how to construct the thing.

My next post, I'll show you the simplest paper rolling device of all! For rolling paper, it's far simpler than making a slip roll.
Attached Thumbnails
a new way of curving card stock parts-img_1671.gif   a new way of curving card stock parts-img_1672.gif   a new way of curving card stock parts-img_1673.gif  
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 PM

Paper Roll

This is the easiest, most accurate way I have ever found to roll paper. Ideally, you want the paper rolled so tightly that it must be expanded to achieve the correct diameter. If it is rolled to loosely, the edges may not be truly circular. Of course, if you are using bulkheads, it's a moot point.

Again, using the parts from a printer, or brass tubing as someone else pointed out, wooden dowels...whatever, tape one edge and carefully align it square to the rod. The tape allows you to roll the paper tightly against the rod. Then just roll the rod over the paper. You can roll very small diameters easily and accurately just by using small diameter rod.

I've rolled some parts under 1/8" diameter using regular weight paper. But, I will confess; I wised up. I'm not a purist. Anything that small, I'd rather use rod or wire and paint it!

To keep the tape from being too sticky, afix it to your forehead or cheek first. The natural oils from your skin will decrease the tape's stickiness so that it will not pull ink off the paper and so that it will release easily.
Attached Thumbnails
a new way of curving card stock parts-img_1681.jpg   a new way of curving card stock parts-img_1682.gif   a new way of curving card stock parts-img_1683.gif