PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Thumbs up Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue

OK................ I am a big fan on Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue (Silver Bottle) and I lucked up on some at a salvage store and bought all 7 bottles for a buck each. Happy.......Happy.............Joy..........Joy.... ........

But to my surprise they also had two bottle of Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue (maroon ... purple... I don't know I'm color blind but I will stick a picture at the end of the post)

OK........... this stuff is white, non-smelling contact rubber cement!!! Man this is some thick stuff and is hard to push out the small nozzles I use............ I will cut them off bigger.......... but I mean this stuff does the job.

You need to stick a pair of wings on the side or your model and it has no cross supports.............this is the stuff.......... you put it on.......... stick the paper where you want it and BAM! it's stuck. Like contact cement you have to get it pretty close to right the first time, but I ain't kidding it holds and dries clear.

Try it............ it is a specialty use glue, but boy when you need it stuck down, fast, tight and ready to gone on this is the ticket................ Oh Yeah............I bought both bottles for a buck each too!

john
Attached Thumbnails
Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue-aleens-fast-grab.jpeg  

My Drawings

Last edited by John Bowden; 08-31-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-31-2007, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I use Aleenes tacky products. Can't recommend them enough.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
I like it. But, and remember that I am the world's only Duco cement user, it deforms the edges too much. It has its uses but not often enough. Still, if you cannot abandon white glue, it is the tops.

Carl
Old 08-31-2007, 10:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Carl,
When you use Ducco, do you use it right out of the tube, or do you thin it with something? I have tried to use it but it is so thick and dries so quick, I haven't had much luck with it.

Dave
Old 09-01-2007, 07:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.27 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
[...] remember that I am the world's only Duco cement user [...]
No, you're not
Google Adsense
Old 09-01-2007, 07:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
John, I agree about the purple bottle Fast Grab glue. I have bottles of Aleene's that are gold (original), silver (quick dry), and purple (fast grab). I find that the purple bottle gets used most of the time. It was very helpful when the Martian tripod models were put together. The parts are very small so the glue tabs were not used. The Fast Grab glue grabs hold of the butt joints quick and made the assembly go much faster and enjoyable. The same goes with closing the last face on polyhedra. The fast grab glue makes the assembly much more easy.

There is just enough lead time, too, for proper positioning of the part(s).
Old 09-01-2007, 09:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I use Fast Tack - Silver. I find their products great but I can't see fast grab as a good idea.

My reason is that when you are manuevering a part into position and join it up, sometimes there is misalignment which you have enough time to budge the part into place with the glue still tacky.

Fast grab makes me nervous.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarrell View Post
Carl,
When you use Ducco, do you use it right out of the tube, or do you thin it with something? I have tried to use it but it is so thick and dries so quick, I haven't had much luck with it.

Dave
Dave, I use it straight out of the tube. I but a tip on it for precise placement. It does dry quickly and can make some mess if you're not careful. Sort of a high risk/reward kind of thing. The best way to use it is to pretreat the joining surfaces with a little bit of glue. Then put a thin layer on top and fit them together. There can be a premium on getting it right the first time. Also, if you don't get it right and want to redo it, there will be glue build up that you need to cut off before trying again. I like the speed of setting, the lack of deformation and the strength.

Popola, I'm glad to find another Duco user!

Carl
Old 09-02-2007, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev0 View Post
I use Fast Tack - Silver. I find their products great but I can't see fast grab as a good idea.

My reason is that when you are manuevering a part into position and join it up, sometimes there is misalignment which you have enough time to budge the part into place with the glue still tacky.

Fast grab makes me nervous.
The bottle claims it grabs it, but doesn't dry, so you can still move it around.

I bought it a few weeks ago, but haven't used it yet.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
gonna try that purple bottle when my gold bottle runs out
Chris