PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-12-2020, 01:21 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
All PVA glues are not equal - they may have different ingredients.

The best I have found is a PVA made of "Polyvinyl Acetate dispersion in water".

This is normally the common run of the mill Wood Glue you would buy in a hardware store. look on the label to see what the make-up is.

These glues are waterproof when dry. Most of the "hobby" glues appear to NOT be waterproof (like Aleenes).

Looking at the PVA wood glues available in the States (Gorilla glue etc) they unfortunately seem to have a colouring additive so they dry "tan". Weird! In Europe and UK most wood glues dry clear and are not visible. Perfect for modelling.

One of the advantages of wood glue also is that the consistancy of the wood glue (for me anyway) is perfect for using it for paper.

--------------------

I have in my time bought all sorts of liquid "hobby" paper glues - all were a disappointment and did not work as well as the wood glue.

Good wood glues availble here and in the UK and some European countries are "Alcolin Cold Wood Glue" and "Ponal" wood glues.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Laminating flat pieces with PVA or Aleens, for me, tended to result in either wrinkling or bending, sometimes even after being placed under heavy tomes for several hours/overnight/days. So I resorted to using rubber cement. It is possible to acquire Elmer's Craft Bond Rubber Cement in a very handy 4 fl.OZ size at either Blick Art Supplies or Staples (that's here in California).
Old 08-12-2020, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I hate to say this but I retract my earlier comments.
I ordered some UHU glue on Amazon. While a bit on the expensive side it works a lot, lot better than Aleene's tacky glue. And I tested it against Aleene's Quick Dry and Fast grab glue.
UHU glue dried quicker and didn't have any wrinkling problems.
I could still use Aleene's quick dry or fast grab I just have to remember to have something to hold it in place while drying. I bought some miniature clothespins for that, and not spread it on too thick.
The one thing I don't like about UHU is it's a bit on the thin side and stringy. While you can squeeze it right out of the tube it's inviting disaster. It's better to use something else to spread it. I've taken to putting some aluminum foil and using a small metal painting knife to spread it on the paper. Looks like a mini spatula. Don't get the plastic ones they break.
I'm also looking into using a plastic bottle dispenser with a syringe tip in the cap. But I have not tried it yet so I don't know how well the bottle will hold up, If the tip gets clogged etc. Do a search on amazon for "5 Packs 30CC Art Bottle, 30ML Needle Tip Glue Bottle" to see what I'm looking at. If anyone else has used something similar tell me how if it works for you.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.29 MB
I have mixed CA glue with Aleene's Tacky Glue. Works for me. It dries fast.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruti View Post
I found this cheap masonry tool for plasterlike stuff useful when laminating:
Attachment 422317

• it's polyethylene, so easy to clean
  • about 1.3mm thick, its "("-like profile fits comfortably in your hand
  • edges are sharp on the convex side and curved on the concave one (highlight on the top left corner), so glide effortlessly, spreading glue uniformly
Probably the same effect could be achieved by sanding smooth the edges of a credit card, on one side only.
Thank you for the hint, I will look for it surely.

It reminds me the spatula used to spread the chocolate.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash View Post
I'm also looking into using a plastic bottle dispenser with a syringe tip in the cap.
Works a treat!!!! I ordered a "set" not being sure how the bottles would hold up (and a friend wanted some extras) ... but haven't needed more than one for each type of PVA-type glue I use.

Easy to flush the bottle as well as to clean the tip with a needle (rarely needed).

Gene K
Old 10-05-2020, 02:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
I was recommended to use ZipDry on a recent kit by a friend. Works a treat, dries fast, can easily be pulled up if needed. And it's not water based so it doesn't wrinkle the paper.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 202.41 MB
Which kind of glue to bond plastic trasparent canopy ( hot formed from a plastic bottle) to paper?
Old 01-24-2021, 10:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDREA673JW View Post
Which kind of glue to bond plastic trasparent canopy ( hot formed from a plastic bottle) to paper?
Micro Kristal Klear is perfect for this kind of application. If you can't find it, any other thick PVA glue will also work.
Attached Thumbnails
What glue to use?-pict0288.jpg  
Old 01-25-2021, 05:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
There is a glue called Crafter's Pick The Ultimate! that works good at bonding plastic to cardstock.

Crafter's Pick Craft Glues, The Ultimate Glue

Available on Amazon, at Hobby Lobby, and other outlets.

Here is a thread from 2013 about it.
Crafter's Pick The Ultimate glue
Google Adsense