PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 07-24-2009, 04:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 135.14 MB
Rivets, rivets and more rivets

I just found out an easy solution to the problem of making multiple rivets on a model. It maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but it's fine with me. And it could be as simple as your everyday office supplies. It is a ball point pen, or rather an inkless ball point pen, the one we just throw out when the ink is dried up. I tried this technique and and I got acceptable results.

1. Slightly emboss the rivets with the pen in the printed side;
2. Turn the page over and emboss the protrusion with the same pen, careful not to punch thru the depression;
3. Put a dab of glue on the depression from the reverse side to help it hold it's shape;
4. Apply the card to the model in the usual fashion.

Here are some pictures. You can barely see it, but touch it and you know it's there. Sorry for the quality of the pics, i just took it from my phone. Hope this trick helps anybody. And it is way easier than punching a gazillion rivets and putting it in place. Saves time and resources. Hope you enjoy it and any feedback on this is most welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Rivets, rivets and more rivets-001.jpg   Rivets, rivets and more rivets-002.jpg   Rivets, rivets and more rivets-003.jpg   Rivets, rivets and more rivets-004.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2009, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I just tried this. It works very well but, as warned, you must be very gentle or you'll poke a hole in your model (don't ask how I know this). Good detail work! Try it on gloss brochure paper, they'll show up very well.
Lep
Old 08-04-2009, 01:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Tunny
I bought this little tool to make rivet (d=1mm)

The result as you see in the pics below

Tunny