PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 07-14-2020, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Elmers' Adhesives: Blue vs. Clear

I've had good results over the years with Elmer's Washable School Glue No Run Gel. It's a transparent blue, but it dries clear. It spreads easily and has less tendency to wrinkle than any white glues I've tried. Unlike some adhesives (rubber cement, for example) it doesn't lose holding power over time. Models I built >5 years ago still have flat, tight seams.

I can still find it some places, but most stores seem to be stocking Elmer's Washable Clear School Glue. It seems like a similar product, with similar spreading and anti-wrinkle properties, but I haven't used it long enough to judge it's long-term hold.

Has anyone else been using it? Any comments on its pros and cons?
Google Adsense
Old 07-14-2020, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 711.82 MB
I've used it for years. It is my go to adhesive for paper models. I used to buy it from Staples. You can still get it from Amazon.
I like it, because you can see where you put the glue. I also found that I could control the "tackiness" by squeezing a small amount on scrap card and applying it to the model parts with a toothpick.
You can see the scrap card and glue on the right in the photo below. That was the Limber to go with my US Civil War M1841 6-Pounder Cannon.
I've also made some Pop-up cards for my grandkids, but I find that solvent-based UHU glue works great for that. I bought a ton of it fairly cheaply from Amazon. A 5-pack of 125 ml tubes for $25 (the tubes are huge).
Attached Thumbnails
Elmers' Adhesives: Blue vs. Clear-mvc-002f.jpg   Elmers' Adhesives: Blue vs. Clear-cannon-pic01.jpg   Elmers' Adhesives: Blue vs. Clear-mvc-006f.jpg  

Last edited by Captain; 07-14-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Sounds great! Is your go-to the blue or the clear?
Old 07-16-2020, 12:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 711.82 MB
Elmer's School Glue Gel - Blue. I have models from 15 to 20 years ago that are still firmly glued.
Attached Thumbnails
Elmers' Adhesives: Blue vs. Clear-elmers-school-glue-gel-blue.jpg   Elmers' Adhesives: Blue vs. Clear-dsc00018.jpg   Elmers' Adhesives: Blue vs. Clear-dsc00019.jpg   Elmers' Adhesives: Blue vs. Clear-dsc00020.jpg   Elmers' Adhesives: Blue vs. Clear-lis-top-fix.jpg  

Elmers' Adhesives: Blue vs. Clear-red-cross-3qtr-view-fix.jpg   Elmers' Adhesives: Blue vs. Clear-rocket01.jpg   Elmers' Adhesives: Blue vs. Clear-parthenon-3qtr-view-fix.jpg   Elmers' Adhesives: Blue vs. Clear-united-nations-fix.jpg  

Last edited by Captain; 07-16-2020 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 180.54 MB
I am new at this and sometimes find I need a little filler. I have been using Elmer's White Glue All which mixes nicely with watercolors and can fill minor gaps. How does the Elmer's Blue or Clear School Glue mix with watercolors or acrylics?
sp
Google Adsense