PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 07-10-2021, 12:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
How to fit lasercut ships handrails

Hello all,
Help needed - I am fitting 1:250 handrails for the first time and looking for tips and tricks for doing that.

The model and rails are from JSC's IEVOLI BLACK.

I have preformed the first 2 strips, the first conveniently fits the whole circumference of the bridge deck, the second fits most of the monkey island, see pics.

My plan was put a tiny blob of Kittifix on say the first 4 stanchions (vertical parts) and get those 4 in place and dried. Then holding the rail outboard of the deck do the next few - as many as can be moved accurately into position.

My thinking is doing a few at a time will let me get them in position, only having to concentrate on a few at a time.

What do you think?

(I just don't want to mess up the appearance at this stage!!)

Thanks,
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
How to fit lasercut ships handrails-monkey-island-rails.jpg   How to fit lasercut ships handrails-bridge-deck-rails.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2021, 04:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
I think you are doing ok getting it bent to shape and then slowly glue the stanchions in place.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
Hello

When I need to place the rails on a model (I don’t use lasercut, bu I made by myself in paper... but this doesn’t matter..) first of all I model the rails with any change of direction, on the deck image (scanned and printed or before to glue the deck in place).

Once the rail has been “enough” modeled on the false deck, then I put it at the place, applying a little drop on white paper to the botom of any stanchion where is a change of direction, then i put the rail on the deck and I left the white glue to dry (it becomes transparent).

Once fixed all the principal stanchions, then I glue any intermediate stanchion to ghe deck applying again a little drop of white glue for each stanchion, applied with the tip of a long sterl needle... and I left all to dry at least for one day...

Hoping could help
Ciao
Jp
Old 07-10-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanmodels View Post
I think you are doing ok getting it bent to shape and then slowly glue the stanchions in place.
Thanks - good to have that extra vote of confidence before taking the cap off the glue!!

Alan
Old 07-10-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP64 View Post
Hello

When I need to place the rails on a model (I don’t use lasercut, bu I made by myself in paper... but this doesn’t matter..) first of all I model the rails with any change of direction, on the deck image (scanned and printed or before to glue the deck in place).

Once the rail has been “enough” modeled on the false deck, then I put it at the place, applying a little drop on white paper to the botom of any stanchion where is a change of direction, then i put the rail on the deck and I left the white glue to dry (it becomes transparent).

Once fixed all the principal stanchions, then I glue any intermediate stanchion to ghe deck applying again a little drop of white glue for each stanchion, applied with the tip of a long sterl needle... and I left all to dry at least for one day...

Hoping could help
Ciao
Jp
Hi JP!
Thanks, that’s a great description from you and a very good method too, better than what I was thinking cause it’s a simpler idea.
Think I’ll go with that.

Thanks both of you!!
Alan
Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2021, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 185.31 MB
Rather than trying to go all around an entire deck with a contiguous piece of railing I'd cut the railing into sections, from one corner point to the next. It is much easier to fit these small sections and glue them in place. You can easily add an extra stanchion if your section doesn't end with one naturally.
All the best
Old 07-11-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornswoggler View Post
Rather than trying to go all around an entire deck with a contiguous piece of railing I'd cut the railing into sections, from one corner point to the next. It is much easier to fit these small sections and glue them in place. You can easily add an extra stanchion if your section doesn't end with one naturally.
All the best
Hi Hornswoggler,

Thanks, yes, another good idea. In fact I've tried both these methods, latter worked well where there was only a short 3 sided section that I fitted in 2 parts.

Not unhappy with my first attempt. When I did the Bridge deck it was fairly easy - plenty of space between bends. The Monkey Island was a different story though as you can see. I need to over bend these 90 degree corners. Also, bending them a couple of times weakens them enough that they're more malleable on the model and don't tend to want to back back towards straight.

Thanks for the tips so far gents, all comments welcome..
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
How to fit lasercut ships handrails-ddf4bcc0-d531-4af0-81a6-9f05e1d85fc5.jpg   How to fit lasercut ships handrails-ddf4bcc0-d531-4af0-81a6-9f05e1d85fc5-1-.jpg   How to fit lasercut ships handrails-708cc488-7df6-48bc-93df-ecdff6995128.jpg   How to fit lasercut ships handrails-30e3e4e8-90ef-4ba0-8372-f03a9e488953.jpg   How to fit lasercut ships handrails-7f0ed2f5-caf9-453f-9e5c-41bf210373cb.jpg  

Old 07-13-2021, 05:54 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Nothing wrong with those! Great looking railings!
Old 07-13-2021, 10:33 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Those look excellent.
The method JP described resembles my own.
The more of them you do, the better they will get.
Mike
Old 07-13-2021, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Those look excellent.
The method JP described resembles my own.
The more of them you do, the better they will get.
Mike
Absolutely right, Mike!!
More experiences increase the experience !!! :-)

Also the lasercut rails are great.... indeed.

Ciao
Jp