PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 09-10-2009, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Rotating Cutting Mat

To help in positioning small paper parts for cutting. This is not a new idea; there are several on the market but they all seem too large for my purposes. I think they are used for quilting and other fabric based crafts in association with rotary cutters.

The base is about 8 inches square (200mm) and the rotating table (blue) is about 4 1/2 inches (110mm).

The rotating table sits on a "lazy Susan" bearing and was originally intended to sit flush with the surface of the base but I miscalculated the thicknesses and anyhow it doesn't seem to hurt that it sits about 3mm higher.

If I were to build another I would make it so that access to the positioning of the bearing and the rotating table mounting screws is easier. As it is, access to the bearing is only through the 1/2 inch (12mm) hole in the back of the base.

Getting everything concentric was a chore, as the "lazy Susan" bearing has no center and I had to find the centers from the edge of the disc; not the easy way! I learned that regular erasers do not work very well on plywood.

But now it's together, it seems to work very well, even better than I had hoped. Cutting circles freehand is a joy, and scoring difficult curves is much, much easier.

It also helps with straight lines, as turning the work is very easy now. When I first tried it out, my fingers said "Oh, Boy! This is what we like!"

Make no mistake, this is still freehand cutting and still hard to do, but it is much more comfortable with the rotating table than without.

The base is a piece of 5/8 inch (15mm) plywood and the rotating table is 1/4 inch (6mm) ply. Both from scrap at work. (I only keep working there for the insurance and the building materials.)

The "lazy Susan" bearing and mounting screws came from the local hardware store and the circle of self healing mat came from our local St Vincent de Paul thrift store where I found a mat 24'x36" very clean for $1.00 (You gotta love those thrift stores!)

Well, I've been neglecting my paper models for too long while I built this thing and I will get back to them. If I am still using the rotating cutting mat after six months I will consider it a success.
Attached Thumbnails
Rotating Cutting Mat-rct1.jpg   Rotating Cutting Mat-rct2.jpg   Rotating Cutting Mat-rct3.jpg   Rotating Cutting Mat-rct4.jpg   Rotating Cutting Mat-rct5.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
IKEA has a rotating woden plate for kitchen use, looks alost just like the one you describe, it maybe a bit clumsy but could work - i have one that we're not using anymore so i'll try it and see if it works
Old 09-10-2009, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
What a great idea. Will give this a try and build one f/myself. Thanks.:DRick
Old 09-10-2009, 08:20 PM

that could make the ultimate circle cutter, you guys remember those old record players right? they had that thing with the pin that skimmed the top of the record disk, imagine if you can choose your circles diameter, then turn the wheel
Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 135.14 MB
i have a similar one made up a month ago. I have used an old cd spindle with the center pole cut flush with the outside rim. Then 4 old cds was taped together to act as the rotating hub for the cutting mat that is to be put on top. Attached are some pictures of this contraption. It had helped me a lot with cutting wheel rims for my GPM Jagdpanther in progress. The good thing is it's very inexpensive and requires not much material at all. It ain't pretty, but it does the job well.
Attached Thumbnails
Rotating Cutting Mat-020.jpg   Rotating Cutting Mat-021.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-14-2009, 07:02 AM

I wondered about the overall height when I threw together my drum-turntable I left it 'high' for 2 reasons - area to grip the edge & turn the wheel & distance to eye & thus lighting issues.
I think the thicker platter would be better for these reasons.

I am still looking to find the scrap metal to build the suggested 'record-player' arm to which I want to attach a rotating blade.
I am thinking a downward pointing pin on this arm, to center the object to be cut, will be better for positioning purposes, than my upward central pin.

Once I have finished my pesky BIOS programming I will be able to look into this again!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell_zantoz View Post
i have a similar one made up a month ago. I have used an old cd spindle with the center pole cut flush with the outside rim. Then 4 old cds was taped together to act as the rotating hub for the cutting mat that is to be put on top. Attached are some pictures of this contraption. It had helped me a lot with cutting wheel rims for my GPM Jagdpanther in progress. The good thing is it's very inexpensive and requires not much material at all. It ain't pretty, but it does the job well.
I hope that isn't patented, because I did the same thing.