PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 02-23-2022, 07:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.97 MB
Mod Podge--Yes or No

I like clear Krylon, but it is too cold outside for spraying that stuff. There is an internet video of someone building a paper airplane model, the modeler brushed on a thin coat of Mod Podge before cutting out parts. The video's audio is just background music, no comments from the modeler.

I'm tempted to give Mod Podge a try since it is safe to apply indoors. Anyone have experience using this product in paper model construction?
Google Adsense
Old 02-23-2022, 08:17 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
one piece or a couple of pieces of to keep in mind

Mod-Podge is still a PVA glue, just a bit thicker than most of what we are used too.

while it dries clear, it takes some time to do so.

and depending on the particular formulation, to achieve maximum curing, it might take a couple of months.

One of the hints dropped on this forum or another by our member Gil, was to run the can of Krylon under a hot/warm water stream, and then spray.

But as you and I live in Texas, just wait a day and the weather will be changing again
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-27-2022, 11:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Hi, I built all my models with ModPodge, I even glue metal and plastic parts and of course paper and card board, see here:

ModelWarships.com - Gallery

Another thing ModPodge does not take months to dry, most of the time you just can keep on modelling, only when big amounts of ModPodge are used (Like for gun blast covers on warships) it takes about 24 hours to dry !! When dry it is just turns into plastic.
I started building with ModPodge back I'm 2004, with the results in my gallery !!

Last edited by JohnMGD; 02-27-2022 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.97 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMGD View Post
Hi, I built all my models with ModPodge, I even glue metal and plastic parts and of course paper and card board, see here:

ModelWarships.com - Gallery

Another thing ModPodge does not take months to dry, most of the time you just can keep on modelling, only when big amounts of ModPodge are used (Like for gun blast covers on warships) it takes about 24 hours to dry !! When dry it is just turns into plastic.
I started building with ModPodge back I'm 2004, with the results in my gallery !!
I tried Mod Podge on a parts sheet. It was a single sheet model that I was willing to use as a test. I applied the Mod Podge with a good quality brush. My only issue is that when Mod Podge is dry it shows brush marks. The Mod Podge bottle label suggests five coats then sand smooth. I found this is do-able, but requires a lot of sanding time. Perhaps thinning tbe Mod Podge would help?

A big advantage of Mod Podge is that is can be applied indoors without odor or overspray.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 185.34 MB
On using Mod Podge

Remember that this product is water based so you may encounter warping. Also try using Liquitex Polymer Medium insted same water base but a better product. I've found thay the Mod Podge remains slighly sticky.

Try using a fine sponge like the kind you can buy in cosmetics section to just "dab" the product over the entire surface with no brush marks problem
Google Adsense
Old 02-28-2022, 01:28 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Mod Podge is good for all the other applications

In cold weather, I have in the past resorted to driving to a warm parkade to spray!
Old 02-28-2022, 02:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
I tried Mod Podge on a parts sheet. It was a single sheet model that I was willing to use as a test. I applied the Mod Podge with a good quality brush. My only issue is that when Mod Podge is dry it shows brush marks. The Mod Podge bottle label suggests five coats then sand smooth. I found this is do-able, but requires a lot of sanding time. Perhaps thinning tbe Mod Podge would help?

A big advantage of Mod Podge is that is can be applied indoors without odor or overspray.
I don't know what you are trying to glue with ModPodge, but I never had any problems with brushstrokes, I just used it for spot gluing and not big areas, indeed when used for gluing big areas, it is possible that things will warp, but keeping it under pressure, when possible, will help to keep it flat, for instance for laminating !! Did you see any unregularties in models ????
Old 03-18-2022, 03:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Larry isn't looking to glue kits together with modpodge...
hes considering it as an alternative 'clear coat' and sealer.

While it works on jigsaw puzzles, and decoupage projects, I'm not sure its the right thing for clearing paper models.
The high water content isn't a good thing for starters.

Has anyone ever tried Floor Polish? Like the plastic modelers use?
Its water based, but if you applied it sparingly...?

Krylon and other brands offer 'low odour' clearcoats.
I have a Krylon low odour spray that has very little smell and is fine for indoor use.
I used to buy it all the time, but then Krylon prices skyrocketed.

Now, I regularly use a Lacquer Clearcoat in the house.
Cost me less than $10 a can.

Yes, it has an odor, but I spray in the basement, into a box,
at the far end of the workshop.
I don't spray when the furnace is running (because the furnace can send fumes throughout the house).

Because I am spraying a paper model, I am only applying very light coats to my model sheets or finished models.
I don't spray enough to create a huge cloud because that would mean I have wet down my parts/model enough to bleed inks and distort paper.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Larry...you live in Texas...what the heck do you mean "its too cold outside"! ????

Is there a town in Siberia named 'Texas'?

I live in Canada.
We regularly have weeks of -40 degrees.
I clearcoat year round.

LOL
Old 03-19-2022, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Yes, it has an odor, but I spray in the basement, into a box,
at the far end of the workshop.
I don't spray when the furnace is running (because the furnace can send fumes throughout the house).

Because I am spraying a paper model, I am only applying very light coats to my model sheets or finished models.
I don't spray enough to create a huge cloud because that would mean I have wet down my parts/model enough to bleed inks and distort paper.
Do a lot more than spread through the house.

Ever hear of Lower Explosive Limit (LEL) you spray and create enough in the air, you just might be AirDave for real, in different directions at the same time.

Like Dave, I have a spot to spray in the winter. Have what is called an Arctic Entry that is a small room on the backdoor of my house. I keep the can inside the main house and then step out spray, hang on line using clothes pins to dry. After 24 hours move inside the smell isn't too bad by this time. The clear coat is also not sticky, no finger prints left when touching.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 03-19-2022 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Finger prints
Google Adsense