PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 03-30-2022, 04:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.96 MB
Corrugated cylinder... using paper?

Hi all,

I would like to make a small cylinder (roughly ~2-3cm in diameter and ~4cm long) that resembles a tin can:

I know that corrugated sheets are stiffer under constraints that are normal to the sheet which makes it difficult to work with them and bend them into shape without permanently damaging the cardboard with folds and creases. Do you have any tip?

Thanks
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2022, 06:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaibe View Post
I know that corrugated sheets are stiffer under constraints that are normal to the sheet which makes it difficult to work with them and bend them into shape without permanently damaging the cardboard with folds and creases. Do you have any tip?
Typically in the paper modeling world, texture is applied visually with the printer.

If the cylinder that you are making requires actual raised ribs, that is very difficult to do in paper.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
You might be able to do it with embossing if you pre-roll the paper and use some type of embossing wheel. Dunno where to get one though
Old 03-30-2022, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Maybe you shall begin with making a "mold" or "last" first. If you want to recreate this very can, simply wrap it with paper and then emboss the recessed folds by pressing with a smooth tool, using the can inside as a "shoemaker's last". Never try to bend the just corrugated sheet of paper, the result will be far worse.

It is nearly the same as making a sheet of corrugated "steel plate" of paper or tin using the template made of spaghetti glued to the board (see image).
Attached Thumbnails
Corrugated cylinder... using paper?-blacha-falista-3-makaron-spaghetti-2-mm-.jpg  
Old 03-30-2022, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I cut some cardstock to the dimensions needed to make the size can you want. Used an embossing tool to make grooves in the cardstock. Then glued the cylinder.
Corrugated cylinder... using paper?-can1-001.jpg
Seemed to work OK. If you expand the attachment you can see the grooves.
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2022, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Alternate is to make can then cut strips and glue then paint
Old 03-30-2022, 08:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.97 MB
Consider making a form which your cardstock can would fit over. A wood dowel might work. If the dowel is a bit to small in diameter, build it up with a strip of paper. Fit the cardstock can onto the dowel, then use an appropriate tool to emboss the corrugation ribs. You could print faint lines to guide the embossing tool.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Paper/card can only bend in one direction, hence the need for multiple parts and seams.

If the can model is large enough, you can assemble each 'rib' of the can in multiple strips.
Then connect all those strips to build a 'can'.
Obviously internal support will also be needed.

But for smaller scale, this is way too complicated and difficult.

The simplest solution is to recreate the 3D surface with printable artwork/graphics.
For increased 3D effect, add a thin strip at each (most)raised detail.

Doug's idea (above) looks good!
This might work with coloured paper.
Maybe metallic paper.
It won't work as well with printed colours, because the grooves aren't prominent/deep enough and might be hidden by the printed effects.

Only other option is a fully printed can, which might be the best option for something very small scale.
I just created a Can (attached) ...its about 4cm tall.
I haven't test built it.
Give it a try.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf adw tin can model.pdf (597.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-30-2022, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.96 MB
Thanks to all of you for the many ideas!

@Jim & Dave: I did consider drawing the texture but I really wanted the grooves to be seen and felt. This would be a very welcome layer of detail. But this may be somewhat unreasonable so if it doesn't work out, I'll fall back on your suggestion. To be perfectly honest, the tin can is just a first step on my way to the final project which is to build a miniature turbojet engine (SNECMA's M88). As can be seen below, the nozzle is corrugated for structural and cooling reasons and I would like to obtain the same look:

Thanks Dave, the pdf is a nice touch!

@Doug: The grooves look a bit shallow, but I'll test this suggestion.

@Andrew: Actually, using aluminum foil might just be the way to go. I'll try to find a way to make it less shiny as the inner lining of the nozzle seems to be coated with a non-reflective substance.

Ah, Larry, talking about a wood dowel made me think of this:

1. Glue toothpicks on a flat surface, packing them tightly together in a single row (or farther apart depending on the desired corrugation dimensions). This will be the lower die:

2. Create a second die in just the same fashion, using the same number of toothpicks.

3. Place a small sheet of aluminum foil on the first die, and emboss it by pressing the second die onto the first.

4. Carefully glue the resulting corrugated aluminum sheet onto a flat piece of cardboard

5. Roll it and glue both ends together so it forms a cylinder

I have yet to sort out how to carefully glue the aluminum foil onto the cardboard but we'll get there.

Another possibility would be to first pre-roll a flat piece of cardboard into its cylindrical shape before unwrapping it and embossing it with the two dies as murphyaa suggested. I don't know if it will be possible to re-roll the sheet into a cylinder again though.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
How about this method: evenly distribute rubber bands on a round hard cylinder of choice. Moisturise piece of paper and place it on top of those rubber bands and then apply on top of the paper an other set of bands placed between the rubber bands under the paper. Then let the assembly dry thoroughly and voila!

Maybe thin rubber o-rings would be easier to work with and give more desired look but that's up to you. This is 'the old school paper-mache inspired' method I came up with.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Corrugated cylinder... using paper?-img_9802.jpg   Corrugated cylinder... using paper?-img_9803.jpg   Corrugated cylinder... using paper?-img_9804.jpg   Corrugated cylinder... using paper?-img_9805.jpg  

Last edited by Tapcho; 03-30-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Google Adsense