PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 10-31-2022, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I use the Book Punch for small holes, and the larger ones I just cut by hand.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Small holes:
1) Use a small hole punch, Japanese as mentioned
2) Leather punch is best for smaller holes, can purchase different size leather punches if you look around-no need to look for a missing hole punch. Just rotate the head for the correct size hole and squeeze the handles.
3) Larger circles-bought a washer making hole punch up to 2-1/2" (not cheap-kit was over $300), smaller Arch Hole punches can be bought as a kit 1/4" sizes through1". Search this phrase on eBay to see the different types= arch type hole punch
4) Cut outside edge using scissors instead of knife, if inside cut needed, that is when I use a knife. You'd be surprised how accurate an outside cut can be completed with scissors! Twice as fast as a knife. The added advantage is the knife blade tip isn't broke when you need it for the cuts best suited to a knife.

I use several different "cutters". Knife for corner cuts or inside cuts, rotary cutter for long straight cuts, scissors for any arch or curved cutting, hole punches if correct size for any repeated over and over projects. Bought the washer making kit for the cylinder rings for the R1340 engine/ P26 Pea Shooter I'm working on.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 10-31-2022 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Cutters
Old 10-31-2022, 10:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 50.77 MB
Wow! Thanks for chipping in everyone.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.44 MB
Home Made Circle Cutter

This is my Jugaad of cutting perfect circles.

I have simply attached a sharpened nail instead of the pencil lead to the compass. Trick is to sharpen it in such a way that when it moves on paper its cutting age will cut, not scratch the paper
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting that perfect circle-cutter-01.jpg   Cutting that perfect circle-cutter-02.jpg  

Last edited by PoliteGhost; 11-15-2022 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-25-2022, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
As never-ending absolute beginner, I use a hole punch for smaller ones, otherwise I use the scissors or the knife for more complex curves.
To cut internal circles I use the "center cross and rectangle" method with the scissors.
I also got a C-1500, but I used very few times, it needs some practice to get good results.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 745.93 MB
Late to the party, but here's what I use to cut circles:
Thinnerline Circle Cutter gen2 by Shadowhobby.

Easy to center, accurate and repeatable cuts too. It can cut anywhere from .5mm to 50mm diameter, step-less. There are 3 different blade types for different thicknesses of paper. The ring is a bearing and even where the blade pivots is a bearing, so everything is smooth. The center locator is precise.

I regularly cut 2mm circles with no problems. I did have trouble with circles 1mm or smaller though. I can cut rings as thin as 1mm easily (see picture).
For my purposes, I use a sticky mat to hold the paper while I cut circles.

In my example of wheels and tires, I first cut out the spokes, place the parts on the sticky mat and start cutting from the center and work my way out. Essentially, cutting concentric circles. The parts come out exact.
I put a ruler to a couple of the scrap pieces. That ring is 1mm wide.

The cutter is pricey, but for me, I can't be without it!
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting that perfect circle-01-thinnerline.jpg   Cutting that perfect circle-02-tires-mat.jpg   Cutting that perfect circle-03-after-cutting.jpg   Cutting that perfect circle-04-parts.jpg   Cutting that perfect circle-05-precise.jpg  

Cutting that perfect circle-06-scraps.jpg