PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 11-19-2022, 10:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Rolling 80lb 216g/m Scock

Hiya friends,

So I started taking a look at AXM's Delta IV rocket kit this weekend for a quick distraction while paint dries on other projects. AXM helpfully provided uncolored pages for the body of the Common Core Boosters and recommended that modelers source colored card stock for the "Tangelo" orange color which in my case, also comes with a bit of texture that helps sell the appearance of this rocket.

Unfortunately, I'm running into some difficulty rolling this stock. As I try to work the paper from over large diameters of 15cm down to the final 3.5cm finished tube, the paper is creasing and cracking despite rubbing with my fingers to encourage the new memory. I'm a bit flummoxed so I thought I would see what you all thought.

Since the stock is a dollar a sheet, I don't have a lot of trial and error to play with. I keep thinking to hold the sheet over some steam? But since its already 11:00pm, I thought I would ask and sleep on it.
Google Adsense
Old 11-20-2022, 04:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
One useful tip that I got was to use a damp cotton swab to lightly moisten the back of the tube before rolling, it seems to add more pliability allowing the back or inside of the tube to compress more easily, I've found it useful in rolling tubes down to 2 or 3 mm.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Some card stock is no good when rolled and will crease, bend, wrinkle..... Nothing can be done to it and I would not dampen it at all for fear of further damage or colors bleeding thru ( but that is your choice to find out ).

I wrote about my bad experience here : Gloster Meteor F8-Yoav design. Take 1

I do not have a paper to recommend in the USA, since all my really excellent paper is from Japan and a friend sends me a few packs as I need it.

One other option to think about is this company : Mondi
Amazon.com

there are other weights also by this company.

........but, I never used it and thus have no idea if it is good for your project. Others have used it though.

Good luck

Isaac
Old 04-05-2023, 05:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 161.38 MB
Try holding the cardstock over some steam for maybe 2 to 4 seconds. It should create some nice memory in the cardstock.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I've found water has problems in that it seems to soak into the paper fibres and cause them to swell creating distortions. Adding about 20-25% Mehtylated Spirit (Denaturated Alcohol in the US I believe) seems to get around this problem.

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 04-06-2023, 05:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
My 2 Cents

IMHO the trick is to roll the cardstock around dowel or shipping tube. Tack a edge to the tube/dowel with tacky tape...then very slowly on a clean flat surface... roll the tube up like a roll of construction documents. Tacky tape the loose edge and let sit for a hour or so. When the tape is removed the tube will uncoil and you can remove the first tape. Now the memory will be bent into the cardstock and you can make the seam connections. This always works for me on any size tube.

Hope this helped,

Be Safe