PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 07-16-2023, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Resin Parts on Card Models

Back to work on my 1/200 HMS Lion, I have noticed that 'Micro Master' in New Zealand make some fabulously detailed 1/200 parts for Lion, like guns and searchlights. I was wondering if they would look out of place on a card model?

Anyone tried this?
Google Adsense
Old 07-16-2023, 02:38 PM

I have quite a few aircraft models that I bought from GPM and Halinski that have resin wheels available along with the laser cut frames and plastic canopies. And while I have never purchased them, many ship models have etched brass railings, ladders, radars, and aerials along with brass gun barrels available for purchase.

The purist wouldn't like it, but I am not a purist, and I don't see it as cheating or doing anything wrong. A poorly built model isn't going to be improved by such things anyways, and it can only enhance a well-built model. A plastic canopy on an aircraft model doesn't prevent it from being a paper model, but purchasing plastic model bombs and missiles would be crossing the line in my opinion if that was done in lieu of assembling the paper ones that came with the set.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
I have quite a few aircraft models that I bought from GPM and Halinski that have resin wheels available along with the laser cut frames and plastic canopies. And while I have never purchased them, many ship models have etched brass railings, ladders, radars, and aerials along with brass gun barrels available for purchase.
That's very useful. Thanks. I just wondered if they might look out of place.

1. The resin parts have incredible detail not possible in card
2. I would have to paint the resin parts, which might look odd alongside printed card.

Not fussed about being pure (in this sense). Just want to build a model that blows off socks
Old 07-17-2023, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Greybeard View Post
Back to work on my 1/200 HMS Lion, I have noticed that 'Micro Master' in New Zealand make some fabulously detailed 1/200 parts for Lion, like guns and searchlights. I was wondering if they would look out of place on a card model?

Anyone tried this?
Should work fine.

A few years ago, Doris would use sculpey clay to make things for her projects. Her projects were outstanding when she was done.

Mike
Old 07-17-2023, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Should work fine.

A few years ago, Doris would use sculpey clay to make things for her projects. Her projects were outstanding when she was done.

Mike
OK. Thanks Mike. I'll give it a shot.
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2023, 02:11 AM

Realised I should have put in a link

1/200 Royal Navy 13.5"/45 (34.3cm) MKV x4 (Lion Class 1916) – Micro Master 3D Printed Hobby Parts
Old 07-17-2023, 04:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Unless you are entering a restricted contest you can use whatever you want.
You are building the model to add to your collection or for your own pleasure, enjoy, hell chip from fiddlers green has you use cheerios for wheels. do what pleases you.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:26 AM

Those are quite impressive!

I have dabbled in 3D printing for years but only with plastic filament. I might have to get a resin tank printer if that's the quality of detail that can be done!

There would be a great deal of utility for the designer in that if they wished they could make all manner of small details available for sale along with their models. Resin wheels or compressor blades and afterburner rings are immediate applications. Forming bucks for shaping and burnishing compound curved parts are another application for this type of printing.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Those are quite impressive!

I have dabbled in 3D printing for years but only with plastic filament. I might have to get a resin tank printer if that's the quality of detail that can be done!

There would be a great deal of utility for the designer in that if they wished they could make all manner of small details available for sale along with their models. Resin wheels or compressor blades and afterburner rings are immediate applications. Forming bucks for shaping and burnishing compound curved parts are another application for this type of printing.

I am attempting one of Uhu2 and Makino's Star trek Enterprise model. While I love the feel and look of paper, I have not figured out the secret of stability. As conditions change, the engines get all wonky.

My answer? Try a keel strongback from the 3d printer! Wish me luck.

Tags
1/200, jsc, lion, resin