PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-22-2023, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 30.97 MB
Glue applicator?

I'd appreciate recommendations for a glue applicator bottle/needle that works with white glue and doesn't clog. Please include where you bought it. Thanks.
Google Adsense
Old 08-22-2023, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I know this isn't what you are looking for, but placing a dollop of glue on a piece of card, you can dip a toothpick as an applicator. I would stick with what works rather than go through a round of unsatisfactory results trying out something that will be more difficult to use successfully
Old 08-22-2023, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Given the nature of paper modeling, I don't think the kind of applicator you are talking about is the best solution, since in most cases, the glue needs to be spread thinly over a flat surface. Hence, Dave's toothpick or, in my case, a small pointed brush (I squeeze the glue into a V-8 juice cap). I also keep a small flat brush for covering larger surfaces and, when I just need a very tiny drop of glue, I use the needle in a wooden handle that I also use for scoring and punching holes.

Of course, if an applicator works best for you, then whose to argue?

Don
Old 08-22-2023, 05:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I use disposal "crafting" or "dental" syringes. They have curved, plastic tips that end in a fine point.

"Crafting" or "Dental" Plastic Syringes

I get them at my local craft store. I load them up with glue and insert the plunger. The curved tip is almost needle-fine. And if you need a larger opening. Just cut the tip till the opening is bigger. I use these syringes for glue, and for applying dielectric grease to electrical connections when I work on cars as well.
Old 08-22-2023, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 30.97 MB
All comments noted and appreciated. Toothpicks were my glue applicator of choice when building plastic models, and I've been using them with paper too. I also bought some Elmers in little squeeze tubes, and I like those, so I was wanting to try something similar but with a finer tip. Those little syringes look like just the thing, and inexpensive as well.
Google Adsense
Old 08-22-2023, 10:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by outersketcher View Post
I use disposal "crafting" or "dental" syringes. They have curved, plastic tips that end in a fine point.

"Crafting" or "Dental" Plastic Syringes

I get them at my local craft store. I load them up with glue and insert the plunger. The curved tip is almost needle-fine. And if you need a larger opening. Just cut the tip till the opening is bigger. I use these syringes for glue, and for applying dielectric grease to electrical connections when I work on cars as well.
+1 for this style.

I enlarge the hole with a larger diameter wire for really long glue joints.

Used to use ink refill syringes until I found the Monject 412 dentist on eBay. Box of 25 was around $12 years ago when I bought them.

The metal straws on the ink refill size was one size fits all. Not always the best choice.

If you look in the fishing department at most sporting good stores you will find small clear plastic glue bottle applicators for Fly Fishing, these have a really small size metal straw that will work with watered down white glue. Squeeze the sides of the bottle for glue flow.

The best thing about the dentist tools is you can do a drop, or long runs of glue as needed.

Q-tips are another option.

Micro-Mark has small plastic squeeze syringes for using with super glue for pin=point accuracy.
Glue applicator?-glue-pipette.jpg

Here is the link: Transfer Pipette, 1.5mL, Fine Tip, 104mm, Pack of 50 other sizes are available

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 08-22-2023 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
I have a scrap of clear acetate I put a drop of glue on, then use a plastic rod left over from a corona test kit to apply the glue to the paper. Unlike wooden toothpicks it's longer and the glue does not soak in and build up on it.
Old 08-23-2023, 07:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 924.73 MB
I built my own precise white glue aplicator: punched a piece of 4 centimetres long 0'2 mm thick nickel metal line in a chinese food wooden stick where drilled a 0,3 mm hole. It's the best to me to apply micro drops of white glue, cyano or any other glues. Easy and cheap!!!
Old 08-23-2023, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Toothpicks. And a small container to put a dab of glue on, then use the toothpick to apply. I use round toothpicks and cut one end off. It’s also easy to scrape dried glue off the top.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
syringe and needle. We made a short tutorial about the device.
Here's link to the video:
JSC, How to make a glue applicator Jak zrobić narzędzie do nakładania kleju - YouTube
Google Adsense